View Poll Results: If you could have only one type, which would it be?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Resonator

19 63.33%
  • Banjo Uke

11 36.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resonator or Banjo Uke? A Poll

Default Resonator or Banjo Uke? A Poll

I bought a banjo uke because I like the sound of a banjo, but I can't play one. The banjo uke is a perfect compromise. Then I got a resonator because I liked the looks and the sound.

If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be? I would go with the banjo uke.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 12-26-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I bought a banjo uke because I like the sound of a banjo, but I can't play one. The banjo uke is a perfect compromise. Then I got a resonator because I liked the looks and the sound.

If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be? I would go with the banjo uke.
    Absolutely a resonator. The sound is more malleable, so you can make one sound more like a regular uke, or more metallic, depending on how you hit the strings. They sound and look great.

I personally prefer the sound of my Mya Moe concert resonator over the banjolele (and over the National maple-body resonator, but that’s another thread) I love a banjo sound and I don’t think the banjolele can compete. That said, I have not played your Bean Sprout banjolele enough to change my mind. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Resonator, for the volume and sound. If I had an urge to play banjo I would get a banjo and learn to play it as a different instrument.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Resonator, for the volume and sound.......
    Yup, a resonator offers the combination of more volume (when you want it), a different sound, and is just generally more useful musically. A banjo uke is fantastic when you want to play a Stephen Foster tune, but there are a lot of songs where it just doesn't fit in well. Even though they are (sort of...) joking, some folks at a jam will groan when you take out a banjo uke, but be intrigued when you take out a resonator.

But what's with this "one or the other" concept? Get one of each!
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I've never, not once in my life, had any interest in a resonator. They're scary-looking.

Maybe I need to re-think this.
    Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by kvehe View Post
    I've never, not once in my life, had any interest in a resonator. They're scary-looking.

Maybe I need to re-think this.
    The first time I saw one, it was being played onstage, and I really didn't know what it was. It had four strings, so I figured it was a uke. It wasn't until three years later that I bought my first.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

The problem with both is that I need to get better before I want an instrument that'll cut through the crowd

I love the concept of resonators but the ones worth playing are priced out of my budget. Ideally I'd get one set up for slide. After getting much better at slide.

I've almost bought a Little Gem banjolele (with LEDs) several times 'cause they're super cute and I like flashy things, but I couldn't figure out when I'd actually play it. I probably should admit I won't get one after passing on the black friday prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The first time I saw one, it was being played onstage, and I really didn't know what it was. It had four strings, so I figured it was a uke. It wasn't until three years later that I bought my first.
    I was looking at resonator guitars, but wincing at the thought of guitar string pain, when I realized that I could get a resonator ukulele with softer strings. That was a happy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    I love the concept of resonators...Ideally I'd get one set up for slide. After getting much better at slide.
    My teacher, Ron Gordon, used a Taylor ebony slide on my Mya Moe concert resonator and it sounded amazing! Even he seemed to be quite impressed. I have tried glass and metal slides, and they don't seem to work well on fluorocarbon strings. But the ebony wood rings. Unfortunately, the Taylor's "small" slide just means the tube is shorter not narrower/slimmer. So it is quite bulky on my lady pinky.
    Last edited by Martinlover; 12-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Thread Information