Resonator or Banjo Uke? A Poll

If you could have only one type, which would it be?

• Resonator

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Banjo Uke

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
it totally depends on the genre of music you are playing.
to me, banjo ukes work best for traditional folk, bluegrass and (sometimes) tin pan alley style jazz and popular standards.
resonators are superb across a number of genres also: jazz and blues especially, but not exclusively.
every musician will adapt an instrument to suit their individual style of playing and the arrangement they are looking for,
always contingent on the sound you want to produce when you are recording or playing live.
i play both and each has its place.

Our local jams are very welcoming to beginners, and the leader always says don't worry about making a mistake - no one will hear you. At which point I often quickly add, "Unless you are playing a banjo uke - in which case we'll ALL hear you."

I've learned that it is possible to play one quietly, even without something stuffed inside.

Heaven help us all if I plug it into my small Honey Tone Amp, let alone my larger floor amp.

While I enjoy the tone the resonator imparts, it is the banjo ‘twang’ that draws me.
So my vote is for BANJO over RESONATOR.

My Duke 10 has provision for amplification. I can't imagine!

The resonators that I've looked at and handled were so heavy. I'm of the "Have ukulele, will travel" persuasion. I really like them, but for practical purposes I don't think we are a good fit. Banjo ukuleles just don't call to me.

The resonators that I've looked at and handled were so heavy. I'm of the "Have ukulele, will travel" persuasion. I really like them, but for practical purposes I don't think we are a good fit. Banjo ukuleles just don't call to me.

Yes. I have a metal Gold Tone Resouke, and it is heavy. Gold Tone says it weighs 2.5 pounds, but it feels heavier if you are used to wooden ukes.

I have a Gold Tone Tenor Resouke - Concert body, in Maple. 2.0 pounds, feels comfy to play and I love the tone.

My reso uke only weighs 2 pounds. You'd like it.

Top Bottom