View Poll Results: If you could have only one type, which would it be?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Resonator

19 63.33%
  • Banjo Uke

11 36.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resonator or Banjo Uke? A Poll

I have both, so I didn't vote. I've been playing banjouke (Badly) for about a year or so, and bought it for Irish folk music, because I can't play a banjo, yet.
    It's my 2nd one, and it's certainly not my favorite thing to play, but then it has Aquila strings, which I don't like.
    I just got a resonator uke (see my NUD post) to learn to do Fishin Blues properly, and if I do, I'll certainly use it for other songs.
    The 2 instruments aren't quite interchangeable for performance. The banjouke, I think, is practically useless for doing the Blues, or Jazz tunes, and Hawaiian, for sure.
    The reso, well, I ain't sure about playing it for Irish folk songs. It might work for some Bluegrassy type things....
    So I'm too confused, as you can see, to vote.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    The problem with both is that I need to get better before I want an instrument that'll cut through the crowd .....
    Our local jams are very welcoming to beginners, and the leader always says don't worry about making a mistake - no one will hear you. At which point I often quickly add, "Unless you are playing a banjo uke - in which case we'll ALL hear you."
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

First saw a resonator guitar on the cover of the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" album. Was intrigued by its looks and sound. Especially played slide.

I heard a couple of reso ukes that were okay, so I bought a SoundSmith one that had good reviews. Meh. I guess I don't care for the metallic-tinged sound they produce. I sold it to a friend who loves it.

I have two banjo ukes. (The Deering tenor is incredibly loud and I have to muffle it if I'm playing in a uke group.) I like them, now I'm trying to get more proficient in playing them. As you say, they don't sound too good for some songs. But I think limiting them to Stephen Foster is a bit harsh. They can sound really good with many blues and a lot of folk songs. And indeed many traditional Irish, Scottish and British songs.

Not sure about Reggae though...
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 01-01-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I just got a resonator uke (see my NUD post) to learn to do Fishin Blues properly, and if I do, I'll certainly use it for other songs. The 2 instruments aren't quite interchangeable for performance. The banjouke, I think, is practically useless for doing the Blues, or Jazz tunes, and Hawaiian, for sure.
    I play Fishin' Blues on banjo uke all the time. I imagine myself on a front porch with a view of the Mississippi. After all, banjos and the blues share similar origins. Just goes to show how we all have different ears for music

Now, it's true that I have played banjo ukes that are too loud and too bright to play fingerstyle. But a banjo uke with an open back and strings that are not too tight is a versatile instrument with a decent dynamic range. It's not all George Formby and yowza-yowza-yowza dixieland strums. I hated the Little Gems... until a friend showed up with one tuned down to DGBE (using the same strings it came with) and now I think it's delightful.

I've got both a National, and three banjo ukes - all open back. (My Stella is about 100 years old, an sounds great until you get to the 6th fret...)

I can play 'em soft and clean, I can play 'em loud and rough, and I can play 'em anywhere in between. Not about to give any of them up.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I have both, so I didn't vote.
    I have neither, but I voted anyway.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Would go with the resonator. Especially the full metal type. Looks like an instrument from the future. And resonator rhymes with terminator.
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

I have neither.
    I will always have a traditional kind of uke as main uke.
    Not planning on getting either one, but I see the banjo uke as more different from a traditional uke than the resonator, so I opted for the banjo uke. Regardless I would probably do 90% of my ukeing on something else.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Just came across this Mark Twain quote, “A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't.” Perhaps this could be applied to the banjolele.

I have an Eddy Finn Resonator Banjolele
    I can play so softly that my wife in the adjacent room barely hears me, or,
    I can play with gusto such that my wife tells me that the neighbors will hear me, even though the windows of my single detached house are closed.
    Heaven help us all if I plug it into my small Honey Tone Amp, let alone my larger floor amp.

While I enjoy the tone the resonator imparts, it is the banjo ‘twang’ that draws me.
    So my vote is for BANJO over RESONATOR.

Thread Information