XMAS Present UB-1 Tuner help...

aremick

Reaction score
XMAS Present help...

So, my wife bought me a Gibson UB-1 for Christmas!

Thing is, the tuning pegs aren't really smooth. One of them (pictured) has what looks like a chamois washer between the peg body and head stock. None of the others seem to have that. I knocked down a high spot on the flat surface of the peg itself to allow the body to slide a bit freer and it seems to be working OK. The others are a bit sticky. SO, questions:

1) Refurbish the tuners or replace?

2) If replace, with what? (and, I would rather not have to drill out the headstock, as I would prefer to keep the option to replacing the original tuners for resale.)

3) Are washers needed, like under the one shown?

4) If re-furbish, what do I need to do? (And, where can I get replacement springs to replace the rusted ones?)

Thoughts?

Comments?

20191226_103216.jpg20191226_103210.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure the problem isn't that the countersunk portion isn't al;ready too deep, thus the shim material from a previous owner...

You should be able to see a bit of the convex section. the post should not but up against the top of the buttons hole.

I think it does on all of the tuners. I'm pretty much cranking the screws down and using the force of the screws instead of the springs , which are heavily rusted and deteriorated with age. I'm on the hunt for replacement springs , any thoughts?

I'm thinking of shortening the post on that particular tuner that the hole in the headstock maybe a little bit too deep for. Again, thoughts , comments?

Top Bottom