Thread: Transposing help: software or circle

Default Transposing help: software or circle

Couldn't find a good site for transposing so tried to do it on a wheel. Found a song in 2 different keys and wanted to transpose to a third. When I transposed they we're idéntical. Here are the versions of the song and my transposition into key of F.
    Ab Eb Fm Db
    Bb F GM Eb

BOTH transposed out to
    F C Dm Bb

If I transposed to key of C they both turned into
    C G Am F

Is the correct or am I just not getting it?
    Last edited by captain-janeway; 12-26-2019 at 11:55 AM.

In C would be CGAmF

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    In C would be CGAmF
    Oops somehow I looked at paper wrong. That's what I'd come up with. Should it be this in Key of C and Key of F using example beginning Bb?
    My next issue will be getting my fingers to go smoothly between Dm and Bb. Yeah I know they're close shapes but still kind of new and awkward
    Last edited by captain-janeway; 12-26-2019 at 12:01 PM.

F is a common key for singing so practicing getting in and out of Bb is worth the effort. I prefer to play it with index finger barred on first fret and then an A shape. So main task to move to Dm or F is in the index finger to move from one note to whole bar. Just practice that without rest of notes for the chords.
    Last edited by merlin666; 12-26-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    F is a common key for singing so practicing getting in and out of Bb is worth the effort. I prefer to play it with index finger barred on first fret and then an A shape. So main task to move to Dm or F is in the index finger to move from one note to whole bar. Just practice that without rest of chords.
    Strumming isn't as hard for me as picking it for some reason. I'm using a Travis pick going 4231. I'll get it

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Couldn't find a good site for transposing so tried to do it on a wheel. Found a song in 2 different keys and wanted to transpose to a third. When I transposed they we're idéntical. Here are the versions of the song and my transposition into key of F.
    Ab Eb Fm Db
    Bb F GM Eb

BOTH transposed out to
    F C Dm Bb

If I transposed to key of C they both turned into
    C G Am F

Is the correct or am I just not getting it?
    Well, yeah... You were transposing from the key of X to the key of F; regardless of where you start, F is where you should end up.

Ab Eb Fm Db up 1/2 step is A E F#m D, down 1/2 step is G D Em C.

When I have a song that is anywhere from 2 to 5 chords, I play around transposing until I get a key my voice will work with (and that varies day-to-day, so I practice in LOTS of different keys!).

I also started playing in song circles with professional (and professional-caliber) musicians, and started to figure out how to transpose on the fly... they all seem to use capos, and I don't. That means I need to figure it our, and in a hurry.

I complained that they all used capos - it just wasn't natural. Of course, that fell flat, and they got sharp with me for being out of step...

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

I use a capo on my guitar if there are funny chords in a key that are too difficult for me like Eb or Bb. On uke I have not bothered with capo as it is already tight without and I am not willing to give up neck real estate. Good thing is that most chords can be done with little effort on first four frets.

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I complained that they all used capos - it just wasn't natural. Of course, that fell flat, and they got sharp with me for being out of step...
    That did not go unnoticed
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant

!Flukutronic!

I feel your pain on the capo thing. Those guitar players are such “cheaters.” When they hand me the music sheets for the next Sunday’s songs at church and I see the dreaded Capo 1,2, or 3 at the top, I cringe. But, I just head home and use the circle or transposition websites and see what happens. Most of the time it’s fine, but on occasion I’ll find that the capo is actually easier. Finding a key that I can sing a song in comfortably or semi-comfortably is an ongoing battle.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

I've worked out an arrangement with ukutabs.com to post the chord charts for all of the new videos that I create. One of the things that I love about ukutabs.com is that it FREELY transposes with a click.

It might be worth seeing if your song is already on ukutabs.com and then transposing that way.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information