Howlett on Seting the Action and Radius Fingerboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Pete Howlett has commented several times on his blog about setup on ukuleles. On his most recent installment on FB, he comments about radiused fingerboards on ukuleles. (Spoiler: he doesn't offer them.)

Then he talks about setup and the action on his ukuleles. It's quite informative. Pete has some strong opinions about setup.

He believes the magic is at the nut, and is more important than the 12th fret.

Oh, and he mentions that the industry standard for string spacing is 10mm (3/8") regardless of nut width. I guess that explains the Ko'Aloha nut on their tenors.

Anyway, it's worth a listen. You don't have to belong to FaceBook to listen to it: https://www.facebook.com/no1petehowlett/videos/10157935071551031/

This is weird. I thought I posted this in "Uke Talk". It didn't show up for a day. Then it appears in "Ukulele Marketplace". Man, I gotta cut back on those mushrooms!
Don't know how to move it. I guess I'll duplicate it and close this one.

Last edited:
Kenn 2018,
Thanks for sharing and posting the link. It was very informative.
Wishing you and all UU friends a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

The link doesn't work :-(

The link works for me. Look up Pete Howlett Ukulele Owners Club on FaceBook, which is a public group. There are live videos almost every day to watch. The best are the ones where you watch the final stage of set-up and stringing and then see and hear the instrument for the first time it is played live, unless you are watching to learn about building.

Thanks, that worked

Thanks for the link, fascinating - if tempting at the end.

Closing this thread and repeating it on Ukulele Talk where I should have posted it in the first place. Sorry about that.
Especially, about losing the comments on the new one. Thanks to everyone who did comment.

I did test the link and it did work for me. If it doesn't, try copying it and pasting it in your browser menu bar or its search box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom