Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a gig bag a better option than a loose hard shell case?

Default Is a gig bag a better option than a loose hard shell case?

I've got a Tenor Ukulele that fits loosely in the all the hi-end cases I've got. No matter how I fit it, the uke will have about 7/8" of drift (side drift is almost zero, upper bout fit is close, but head to tail is slipping the full 7/8'). The closed lid lightly contacts the strings/saddle My question is whether it's better to just stick with a good gig bag. Obviously I'll fill the gap with by rolled-up polishing cloth for now. Just trying to see what the community consensus has to say. Thanks!

I have a hard shell UKE CRAZY case that I rarely use.
    I prefer my soft gig bag with a Velcro strap that secures my ukulele from moving and a front pocket that holds my iPad with all my music plus incidental chord sheets that have not yet been transferred to my OnSong program.
    We’re i to ship my instrument I might ant the hard side, but placed in an overhead airline in, the soft side gives enough to allow the doors to close and a cost place around the bag provides sufficient protection.

Plus
    DONT HURT MY VERY EXPENSIVE INSTRUMENT!!

Couldn't you just stick a couple of pieces of foam in there? Or a towel...maybe a Hawaiian print beach towel?

Oh...I see you used polishing cloth.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

The answer should depend on the way you utilize the case/bag. If it is just used at home or even transporting to an event, it should not much matter. If it is going to be jarred a lot then you can go either with padding or a gig bag. If it might be crushed with other luggage, the hard case would be preferred.

All of my ukes, except my Blackbird Clara, live in hard shell cases in my office. Mainly because I live in a dry climate and use humidifiers in those cases. Humidifiers don’t work well in gig bags. The hard shells also provide more protection in case they get knocked over. Most of the time I move them from the hard case to a gig bag when I take them out of the house to play. However, if it’s snowy & icy outside, and there’s any chance of a slip & fall, then I’ll take them in their hard cases. Some of the cases are snugger fitting than others, but none are super loose. They all get the job done. For air travel I use a Reunion Blues Continental semi-hard case.

It all depends on what you need from your case. Protection? Transportation to gigs? Good seal for humidification? Travel?
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

My preference is a Fusion case. It is very customizable and I adjust the innards for whichever tenor I happen to be taking out of my home to play.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)

Thank you all! You have pretty much confirmed what I believed: The case for "military grade" situations, the bag for normal use. I live in the PNW and only in the most extreme points of the year is humidification necessary, so...again much thanks!

I have a long-neck tenor which I keep in a baritone case. I keep it snug in this way. Since I always use a strap, I never take the strap off. When I store the ukulele I just wrap the strap around the lower bout of the body and that keeps the ukulele from jiggling around.

I have a Gypsy style cutaway tenor. Oversized body. It only fits Baritone case. Nice lower bout fit. I had Baritone hard foam case that got badly beaten up the one time I shipped the Uke. Never again. I don’t like gig bags for anything more than a simple night out and only if going in my car. I put towel and straps in the end of case which is 4-5 inches too long and no issues. It flying on a plane I would cut foam and cover with valour fabric. Case was Musicians Friends hard case and was only $65.00. Great case. I should get a custom case made to fit but don’t want to drop $700 or more! YMMV but to me you have the hard case. 7/8” in length is nothing. Find a good soft filler!

Quote Originally Posted by intro View Post
    I've got a Tenor Ukulele that fits loosely in the all the hi-end cases I've got. No matter how I fit it, the uke will have about 7/8" of drift (side drift is almost zero, upper bout fit is close, but head to tail is slipping the full 7/8'). The closed lid lightly contacts the strings/saddle My question is whether it's better to just stick with a good gig bag. Obviously I'll fill the gap with by rolled-up polishing cloth for now. Just trying to see what the community consensus has to say. Thanks!
    Here's a project I want to do some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRfFB3Pz3o
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information