Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a gig bag a better option than a loose hard shell case?

I prefer gig bags for a better fit and for safe storage. Cases are a pain if one is usin’ a strap or if one wants to carry anything extra. All my big instrument cases are in the garage! If one carries gig bags carefully, they will do the job, and they’re much less expensive.

I must admit, though, that I seldom carry my instruments anywhere.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 12-27-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Maybe you need to find a hard case that fits your uke. I have gig bag and it is great for going out to the beach, if I'm riding my bike, or if I'm going to the park, anywhere I can carry it like a backpack. But for general use, gigs, open mics, and anywhere there is a lot of people who could knock it over and step on it, or if I'm going somewhere in the car where I'm packing a lot of stuff that might get thrown on top of it I go with the hard case, which is more often than not.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Maybe you need to find a hard case that fits your uke. I have gig bag and it is great for going out to the beach, if I'm riding my bike, or if I'm going to the park, anywhere I can carry it like a backpack. But for general use, gigs, open mics, and anywhere there is a lot of people who could knock it over and step on it, or if I'm going somewhere in the car where I'm packing a lot of stuff that might get thrown on top of it I go with the hard case, which is more often than not.
    I do have cases that fit my instruments. They came with the instruments, so, of course, they fit. However, they fit perzactly and, as I said before, there’s not much room for anything else. Even in my instrument rack, they take up more room than gig bags.

I guess you’re a case man, and I’m a gig bag man. Can you believe that I have a hard case for my tuba? Carry THAT around!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I do have cases that fit my instruments. They came with the instruments, so, of course, they fit. However, they fit perzactly and, as I said before, there’s not much room for anything else. Even in my instrument rack, they take up more room than gig bags.

I guess you’re a case man, and I’m a gig bag man. Can you believe that I have a hard case for my tuba? Carry THAT around!
    I meant that for the OP, about getting a case that fits. I'm not averse to gig bags. I use one often, if the circumstances warrant.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Ha!, Rollie, when I wanna ride a bike to the park to play to the birds and squirrels, I attach a mailing tube to the bars which holds a tin whistle and a small 6 hole, side blown piccolo.

It’s much more convenient than a giant ukulele in a gig bag strapped to my back, and my audience loves my sounds.

Whenever I travel, or gig, I always use a case, if I have one. My gig bag was for hospice use, carrying a case was out of the question. My banjouke only has a bag, but I'm not worried, it's very durable.
    When I put my uke in a bag, it never gets outta my sight.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I usually use a UkeCrazy canvas/foam semi hard case to take my tenor to gigs or club meetings. It's larger than the hard cases and I can keep the strap on. Plus it has a storage place in the case that I keep two tuners in and a front pocket where I have a set of spare strings. This makes it much quicker when I am putting everything away. Taking a strap off, especially if I have a lock washer on it, slows packing appreciably. I help tear down the equipment and stack chairs, so if I'm too slow, it's all done!

I use a ProTec canvas/foam case for my Shelly Park, Gypsy Jazz Macaferri-style tenor. The moveable neck rest makes it fit perfectly. Just right for the width, length and depth. (Don't know the model number.)

Mim sells two hard-ish tenor cases for long necks and 8-string tenors. It's a little long for my 8-string at the top, but I don't have to scrunch it in like I did with a regular tenor hard case. The top and bottom of the instrument were pushed really tight in the regular hard cases I have. Now I put a rolled up towel in the extended case at the head. Just to be safe. The humidifiers work better in the hard cases.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    I have a Gypsy style cutaway tenor. Oversized body. It only fits Baritone case. Nice lower bout fit. I had Baritone hard foam case that got badly beaten up the one time I shipped the Uke. Never again. I don’t like gig bags for anything more than a simple night out and only if going in my car. I put towel and straps in the end of case which is 4-5 inches too long and no issues. It flying on a plane I would cut foam and cover with valour fabric. Case was Musicians Friends hard case and was only $65.00. Great case. I should get a custom case made to fit but don’t want to drop $700 or more! YMMV but to me you have the hard case. 7/8” in length is nothing. Find a good soft filler!
    SO, you would agree that a 7/8" drift would be okay if the case was dropped, say. from above your belt to a hard floor? I'm not asking for a ballistics cert, just a reasonable opinion. So far I've been willing to chance it. Hope I'm not wrong. :-)

Thread Information