FS: Martin Oxk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPG

Reaction score
Selling my Martin OXK.

$225 shipped CONUSA

Got this on UU as part of a trade deal. I wanted a "take anywhere" uke but I travel so little it's pretty unnecessary and is mostly just taking up space.

Action is about 2mm at the 12th and is currently strung with a fairly new pair of Martin "Premiums", which I think suite it quite well.

This one as some blotchiness in the finish on the fretboard around the 17th fret. Its totally smooth and not particularly easy to see, but it is there so I want to point it out. It's not marked as b-stock but I believe it was originally purchased as a "blem". There is a close up in photos. Otherwise in excellent condition. I can't find a mark on it. Comes with nice Martin gigbag.

Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVtqCSjePDknYhs1A

EDIT: Blotchiness in fingerboard was superficial and upon suggestion of another poster (see converstaion below) was removed with a single and very light application of fretboard oil.

Updated photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/P7gMNxDGHNBqA4zG7

-

Last edited:
A great travel uke and a great price. The reason I sold mine was the same, I'm not traveling as much so having two sopranos didn't make sense for me anymore.

A little lemon oil or fret board dressing should even out the color of the fret board just fine. Maybe a light rub with some 0000 steel wool before the oil to clean the frets first.

A great travel uke and a great price. The reason I sold mine was the same, I'm not traveling as much so having two sopranos didn't make sense for me anymore.

A little lemon oil or fret board dressing should even out the color of the fret board just fine. Maybe a light rub with some 0000 steel wool before the oil to clean the frets first.

Thanks for the comments and the suggestion.

Your oil suggestion might work but I'm not positive it would. The blotchiness looks to me looks like either glue squeezout/spillage or that finish/stain spilled and or pooled unevenly in the area during production. If that is the case the wood is likely sealed in that area and thus wouldnt necessarily absorb additional oil evenly. If that is the case in my experience a fix would involve sanding back to raw wood before applying new finish which I would not want to do on a fretboard so I havent attempted to even it out. Anyway, it's still a good suggestion and if I'm wrong about the cause it may very well work. I also dabble in woodworking so I have plenty of 0000 steel wool and oil around so I might give it a try, but it is so inconsequential I may just leave it to the next owner to decide if they want to do that.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments and the suggestions. Much appreciated.

To any potential future owners the suggestion may work but I cannot guarantee it will. You really wont notice the blotchiness unless you are looking closely at it though.

Last edited:
Well it looks like kimura was correct and I was not. I went ahead and rubbed a couple drops of my preferred fretboard oil (a.k.a. light mineral oil, a.k.a butcher block oil) into the fretboard and the blotchiness disappeared. That area took the oil just as well as the rest of the fretboard. So I guess is wasn't spilled glue or finish after all.

So now we have for sale and darn near flawless Martin OXK for $225 shipped CONUSA.

Here are several more pics of the fretboard taken from different distances and under different lights. I sure as heck can't see it anymore.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7LvPPXzjkxAEY9sR6

Thanks kimura. My instinct is usually to not mess with finishes as more often than not it does more harm than good, but you can't really hurt anything with a couple drops of mineral oil so I went ahead and gave it a go. Glad I did. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like your OXK just became an even better deal. Someone should grab this while it's still available.

That is a great deal. These have lots of that classic Martin sparkle and zing and have great fit and finish. Good luck with it.

Well it looks like kimura was correct and I was not. I went ahead and rubbed a couple drops of my preferred fretboard oil (a.k.a. light mineral oil, a.k.a butcher block oil) into the fretboard and the blotchiness disappeared. That area took the oil just as well as the rest of the fretboard. So I guess is wasn't spilled glue or finish after all.

So now we have for sale and darn near flawless Martin OXK for $225 shipped CONUSA.

Ha! Nice job, Chris!
You might have to re-post this one as “Like New"!

Ha! Nice job, Chris!
You might have to re-post this one as “Like New"!

Thanks Tracie. I was acutally thinking of starting a new thread just to avoid confusing people. Or at the very least I may edit the original post and add new pics to it so that people don't need to scroll down to see what it looks like now.

Thanks Tracie. I was acutally thinking of starting a new thread just to avoid confusing people. Or at the very least I may edit the original post and add new pics to it so that people don't need to scroll down to see what it looks like now.

Good idea. Close this thread and make a new one. people who rejected the Martin because of the fretboard aren't going to keep returning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom