Kamaka HF-2D vs. HF-2 LD

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I see a Kamaka HF-2 LD listed at Gryphon. I don't think I've seen that designation before. It doesn't appear to be a long-neck, (my first guess), since it's listed as 15" scale length. It does seem to have 2 extra frets, though, (18 vs. 16 for the HF-2D.) Does anyone know any details about this? If it's not a long-neck, how do they get the extra 2 frets?

https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/concert-kamaka-ukulele-hf2-ld-new-57841

With the same length neck, it appears. Not sure how that works. Maybe I just need to look more closely at the photos. :)
Has anyone seen one of these?

I'm wondering if the HF-2 LD is simply a long-neck concert, (deluxe), so a tenor neck?
Can't figure out how they'd get the extra 2 frets in there otherwise.

Would a long-neck still be considered a 15 inch scale, though? That's what is confusing me, I think.

It's a concert with a tenor neck. Well, tenor length at least. I think the nut is a hair wider on my tenor.

It's a concert with a tenor neck. Well, tenor length at least. I think the nut is a hair wider on my tenor.

Is that still considered to be a 15" scale?
The Ohta San has 14 frets to the body, and 18 frets total, but is considered to be a 16" scale.
Tenors are 17" scale.

And I'm confused. :)

I'm wondering if the HF-2 LD is simply a long-neck concert, (deluxe), so a tenor neck?
Can't figure out how they'd get the extra 2 frets in there otherwise.

Would a long-neck still be considered a 15 inch scale, though? That's what is confusing me, I think.

A 15 inch scale is a concert. Tenor is 17 inches. So long neck concert would be 16 or 17 inches. Cannot tell from the photos since they are sized differently, but if both scales are truly 15 inches and one is 12 and one is 14 frets to the neck, then the bridge must be moved upward too and the overall length is two frets greater (assuming both are same body size, which may not be the case).

Check out specs for the Ohta-San, with 14 frets to the concert body and a 15 15/16 scale length. Body length is 11/4 inch more than their concert specs.

I was thinking that Gryphon simply listed the specs wrong, but the Kamaka website lists a HF-2 DCL with these specs:
Overall length: 23-1/2"
Scale length: 15"
Total # frets: 16
Frets to the body: 12

Same specs as standard HF-2, but the designation isn't the same as the Gryphon one: HF-2 LD vs. HF-2 DCL.

I guess I long for easier to understand model names.
And have a curiosity if they really crammed 2 extra frets onto a 15" scale neck.

I remain confused, but some days are just like that. :)

I didn't see Ohta Sans listed on the Kamaka site, (but am familiar with the specs), and hope that they're not dropping the model.

Puzzle solved...

The LD neck is actually 17" long. It was incorrect on the ukulele tag and on the website. (I went to demo the Collings UC1 which passed every test with flying colors).

Last edited:
Puzzle solved...

The LD neck is actually 17" long. It was incorrect on the ukulele tag and on the website. (I went to demo the Collins UC1 which passed every test with flying colors).

Thanks for clearing that up.
I suspected it was supposed to be 17" and not 15", but since the specs said otherwise, it was confusing. I shouldn't have been looking at it anyway. LOL.

Did you buy the Collings? If so, congratulations!

Thanks for clearing that up.
I suspected it was supposed to be 17" and not 15", but since the specs said otherwise, it was confusing. I shouldn't have been looking at it anyway. LOL.

Did you buy the Collings? If so, congratulations!

I did NOT buy the Collings and should be congratulated for that!

I love the long necks! Worth it!

Top Bottom