New and confused 😀

Chevy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am planning my New Years resolution for 2020. I am pretty good at staying motivated with one good one a year. This year a musical instrument it seems to be. I am trying to decide ukulele or guitalele.

Please correct me if I am wrong about anything.

If I go with a ukulele it in theory should be a quicker learning curve with just 4 strings. But I also look at the guitalele as having two in one. I could learn the ukulele on a guitalele and just us 4 strings. Then add the other two later. So maybe a good fun resolution to give the guitalele a try over the ukulele. Also either ukulele or guitalele high or low G. I feel I would enjoy the low more. Of could this can be changed at any time. Just trying to make sure I enjoy it so i will stick with this.

I have not really played a thing school which is way too long ago

Hi Chevy,

I own and play both ukulele and guitalele so I might be able to help.

Personally, I find uke much easier to play than guitalele. In theory, you should be able to play the bottom four strings of the guitalele to mimic a uke, but it's easier said than done. The string spacing is also much tighter on the guitalele, which makes it more challenging to play.

You can't (easily) string a guitalele high g.

If you get a uke, either high g or low g should be fine. Just choose whatever you feel like. You can usually change them later. (Although, I'm sure people will point out potential pitfalls of changing from high to low g and vice versa, those problems are actually pretty rare.)

Anyway, if you haven't played anything since school (which could be last year or 50 years ago for all I know), I'd start with a uke for the sake of ease and comfort.

Good luck!

Robin

Welcome to UU Chevy. All I can tell you is that I played guitar for almost 50 years, then over 6 years ago I took up the ukulele. I haven't touched my guitars since, it caught me up so completely that I actually gave away my 4 guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

You are just starting out on your musical journey so keep it simple at first......get a ukulele. You can then really become part of a community if you choose. There are Uke Jams where you can play together with others and you would fit right in.

I talk from experience......it is as hard or harder to not play strings as it is to play the correct ones. There will be time later for a guitalele.

You are just starting out on your musical journey so keep it simple at first......get a ukulele. You can then really become part of a community if you choose. There are Uke Jams where you can play together with others and you would fit right in.

I talk from experience......it is as hard or harder to not play strings as it is to play the correct ones. There will be time later for a guitalele.

Thanks everyone. This feed back is appreciate.

I might have to go with the uke. I am on the road for the new few days. Will take a look at the local shop where I am relocating for work. Also take a look on line for one as well.

Also not 50 year since school but I feel it has been 😀

Welcome aboard, I suggest going with a low G uke, I managed to start playing music with a uke, tried many instruments before, with little success. :)

(My main instrument these days is chromatic harmonica, but the uke got my musical journey started.)

If you don't have any guitar background, start with the uke and add a guilele (and/or a real guitar) later. Much easier this way.

Top Bottom