Stranded with my Ukulele again

jnicholes

Reaction score
Well, one of my tires blew while I was driving. Needless to say, I'm stranded. At least I have my ukulele with me to pass time until help comes!

20191228_101015.jpg

Will keep you all updated on this situation.

Jared

Good luck. The tire is too worn to be safe. Maybe look at the others and replace if necessary.

@rainbow21, I just did. It turns out there's one other tire that's not safe. Going to get both replaced.

So...I am in the exact same boat right now!! Stranded on I-81 in Virginia trying to get back home to Tennessee!!

So...I am in the exact same boat right now!! Stranded on I-81 in Virginia trying to get back home to Tennessee!!

I'm actually stranded at a dog park in Nampa, Idaho. I tell you, it's interesting seeing how the dogs react to ukulele music. Here's hoping you get help! My help already showed up.

Stranded with a flat tyre.

If you do not know how to undertake basic maintenance on your vehicle including changing a flat tyre for the spare or using the can of sealant + inflator then can I suggest you seek out a vehicle maintenance course.

The thread worn tyre on Jared’s car was positively dangerous and driving a vehicle with tyres like that is dangerous to yourself, your family and to other road users. Braking distance alone in an emergency will be many more yards than it would be with a newish set of tyres.

Be safe out there.

Stranded with a flat tyre.

If you do not know how to undertake basic maintenance on your vehicle including changing a flat tyre for the spare or using the can of sealant + inflator then can I suggest you seek out a vehicle maintenance course.

The thread worn tyre on Jared’s car was positively dangerous and driving a vehicle with tyres like that is dangerous to yourself, your family and to other road users. Braking distance alone in an emergency will be many more yards than it would be with a newish set of tyres.

Be safe out there.

First off, I don't take offense from that.

Second off, I have replaced the alternator, the radiator, the fuel pump, the fuel filter, the battery, and the starter on my own. It's had a lot of problems, but I always fixed it. I'm not an experienced auto mechanic, but I do have experience with cars. I may still do an auto mechanics course, like you said.

Third, I did not notice the cord until today when the tire blew. I am aware of the danger, that's why I'm getting it fixed right now. At the shop as we speak.

I appreciate your concern. Thank you very much.

Jared

I forgot to add, I do know how to change a tire. I just didn't have a spare on me.

I forgot to add, I do know how to change a tire. I just didn't have a spare on me.

We were shopping for a van last year, and really liked the Chrysler Pacifica. That is, until we found out it does NOT have a spare tire. WTF?

We were shopping for a van last year, and really liked the Chrysler Pacifica. That is, until we found out it does NOT have a spare tire. WTF?

Same with my Ford C-Max. It comes with a sealant and inflator kit instead.

Car is fixed. On the way home.

Glad you are OK and headed home. It sucks when a flat tire happens.

With radial tires, it's better to replace them in pairs. Both fronts and both rears. When you rotate them to equalize the wear, you swap the fronts and rears on each side.
When you get home, move the tires if the new ones aren't paired front or back.

In my college days, I drove my VW bug for several months with tires about as worn as yours. Didn't have the money to buy new ones. Or even used for that matter.

It was kind of fun sliding the car around corners with the slick tires. Especially in a rear-engined car. But I bummed rides if it rained. They'd aquaplane in a puddle or even on just a damp road. No control at all. And of course, useless in the winter.

Glad you had your uke to keep you company until help arrived Jared. Did you work out any new songs?

Have a happy new year.

Same with my Ford C-Max. It comes with a sealant and inflator kit instead.

Yep my wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX is the same. The car companies are all trying to cut the weight as much as possible to meet their US Fleet Mileage Regulations.

That's also why most of the mfg introduced very small mini vehicles. Even Aston Martin. To raise the mileage average for all of the car models their company makes.

'Course that has all changed recently.

Most companies will "allow you" to buy a spare tire and rim, or a full-size tire & rim for an outrageous amount. Hopefully, the car still has a place to put it.
Cheaper to buy one from a junk yard if you can find the right one to fit your vehicle.

Last edited:
Glad you got back on the road, it took me a little over two hours to get back on the road with a new tire! We are in a brand new Honda Odyssey - the tire completely blew out, couldn’t repair it!! We were close to a discount tire shop, thankfully!!

Glad you got back on the road, it took me a little over two hours to get back on the road with a new tire! We are in a brand new Honda Odyssey - the tire completely blew out, couldn’t repair it!! We were close to a discount tire shop, thankfully!!

Whoa! That is really unusual. Glad you're okay. I hope you kept the tire to take to the dealership.

I hope the rest of your journey is without incident. Best of luck. Safe travels.

For the car you folks should also have a little diatonic harmonica for when you're actually moving. Unless you wanted to practice some left-hand pizzicato, there's not much you can safely do with a ukulele whilst the car's in motion. With a nice G or D harmonica, you can while away the hours when you're in transit.

Most companies will "allow you" to buy a spare tire and rim, or a full-size tire & rim for an outrageous amount. Hopefully, the car still has a place to put it.....

Well with the Pacifica at least that's part of the problem. They used all the space for their "Stow and go" seats, so there isn't a spot to store the spare at all. The Honda Odyssey we bought does have a spare, but the spot they wedged it into to store it is pretty hard to get to. Hope we don't need it!

I’m in the tire business and I see quite a bit of tires like that. You are not alone. Glad nobody was hurt. It’s funny how many people don’t know they have no spare or run flat tires on their vehicle. Car companies found that around 80% of vehicles never use their spare, its A dying breed these days. Space is at a premium as well. Stay safe everybody.

Thank you everyone for your advice and concerns. I appreciate it.

I actually made a video while I was waiting for help. I'll post it later tonight.

Top Bottom