Looking for: Gotoh UPTL tuners

Error deleted

Error, deleted

Attachments

• 20191228_160526.jpg
    20191228_160526.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Anyone have a spare set of Gotoh UPTL tuners, the long ones? If so, please let me know. Can pay cash, or also have a Kremona KNA UK-1 removeable passive piezo pickup to trade.

Try "Lucy Ukulele" via Reverb Shops. I've bought two sets from her/them. Very fast shipping and fresh-in-the-box (not used). If you're unsure about whether the set offered is UPT or UPTL, send them a message via the store link. They respond quickly.

FWIW, they also sell through eBay, but postings there are fewer than on Reverb, so I always look there first (same overall price anyhow).

https://reverb.com/shop/lucys-ukulele

HMS has a pretty good selection at good prices. Be ready with a second choice, though. There are so many color/knob choices that stocking copies of everything would be difficult. If you're very particular about the color combination, ordering from the factory is the way to go. It will take a month or more and cost about $100, but you'll get exactly what you want. That's what I had to do with my first set because no one had what I wanted.

I installed these on my Cordoba tenor, plus they are on several of my other uke's. To do the installation properly you should use a peghole reamer, Stew Mac item #0344, $69.64. The Gotoh's require a tapered hole. Expensive but probably necessary.

Good luck, these are my favorite tuners.

UPDATE: A tapered hole is not required, see remarks later in thread.

Last edited:
I installed these on my Cordoba tenor, plus they are on several of my other uke's. To do the installation properly you should use a peghole reamer, Stew Mac item #0344, $69.64. The Gotoh's require a tapered hole. Expensive but probably necessary.

I used something like this. (Read the wording of the link. Strange.) Whatever you use, go slow, and don't apply much pressure. Clean out the reamer occasionally.

https://smile.amazon.com/Military-P...hild=1&keywords=reamer&qid=1577645755&sr=8-25

The taper on the Stew Mac is 5mm to 9mm at 94mm, a lot less, like Jerry said just be careful.

Oh, I just realized, the uke I was planning to install UPTLs on has a 14.5mm deep headstock, too thick for UPTLs (max of 13.5mm). So, if I really want out-the-back geared tuners, I'll need to consider Ratios, which are a bit longer. Never mind on the UPTLs, I don't need them now.

Oh, I just realized, the uke I was planning to install UPTLs on has a 14.5mm deep headstock, too thick for UPTLs (max of 13.5mm). So, if I really want out-the-back geared tuners, I'll need to consider Ratios, which are a bit longer. Never mind on the UPTLs, I don't need them now.

Pegheads might work.

Even though the OP has moved on to other tuners, it might be a good idea to correct the record in one respect in case someone finds this with a search in the future. UPTs have a straight, non-tapered body that is .373" in diameter. They fit in a 3/8" hole, not a tapered hole. I drill the hole with a 3/8" brad point bit. I do use the StewMac reamer occasionally to clean out the 3/8" holes to clear them of finish that accumulates during the finishing process. In any event, that Amazon reamer isn't something that finds much use in instruments. It has way too much taper. If you have a use for one, though, the same thing is sold in US hardware stores as a General No. 130.

Pegheads might work.

For Pegheds, you do need a special, expensive reamer to do the job right, IMHO. This is one of those "please don't ask me how I know" things. And to retrofit Pegheds into existing holes, you often have to bush the holes to make them smaller and then create a perfectly tapered hole inside of the bushing.

Yes, the Pegheds seem much more challenging to install, at least for me. UPTs are a breeze by comparison. Plus, the Pegheds stick out the back of the headstock much further, an issue for some hardshell cases, and when shipping. YMMV.

Pegheds take skill and practice. If you install them all the time, like Mya Moe for example, I'm sure they become second nature. If you do it just once in a while, it can be rather time consuming as getting the tapered holes right is very fiddly. But to try it as a one-off is asking for a bad day. I remember a few years ago when they first hit the market one of the big on-line stores (on the mainland) was charging $100 to install them.

Interesting about the reamer, a taper isn't necessary (I thought it was from Joel's demo on HMS), it's probably just a cleaner way to regulate a tight fit rather than running a regular bit through the headstock. Thanks "saltytri" At least I have a cool tool for my collection.

I'll have to pull up that vid. Thanks for the tip.

The smaller of the StewMac reamers is useful for UPTs even if not strictly necessary. Not all drill bits are created equal so you drill the hole, then clean it up with the reamer, which maxes out at 3/8".

One idea I read about somewhere said you can recess the body of the tuner enough to allow sufficient post to show on the other side. Using a Forstner bit would do that, but centering it would be a challenge. You could put a dowel in the tuner hole temporarily, making it easy to center it.

On the other hand, using different tuners would be a lot simpler.

I use a reamer to bring the top AND bottom sides to the final desired diameter. I then use a sharp power drill bit and -by hand- twist the bit thru to widen to the final diameter ( since the inside diameter is slightly smaller because of the tapered reamer ). Using a drill bit to widen a diameter is kind of a sketchy endeavor...the bit will wobble about the hole entry and lend to the possibility of an elongated hole rather than a true circle. I'd never attempt to enlarge a whole without the benefit of a drill press and good clamps. Basically... never !!!

Top Bottom