Season 411: Missed Opportunities, Second Chances, and Do-Overs

So glad to find out your're fairing well through such horrendous fires across your country. Stay safe, Mate.

Thanks Dennis (and Rick and Mark and Geoff).
Expecting another really bad day tomorrow...... and those water dropping planes can't be everywhere.......
Lots of folks here off to a bad start to 2020....

Here's one which I didn't have time to do for Ylle's Italian week (Season 399), a Nick Lowe song which fits nicely.

After it's daily exploits in 2018, and a year in hiding, the plastic uke is back out of its case.

Wanted to learn & try this one for Joko's SOTU #410: Time of the Nines, but never got around to it. So here it is, Ain't Misbehavin', by Fats Waller from 1929.

Last edited:
I missed Rick's Season 387 - Shapes of Things, so I'm glad for the opportunity to submit a "shape" song: The Hyperboloid of Engineer Garin (1993) by Estonian folk/rock punk band Vennaskond. The song was apparently inspired by the eponymous and obscure science fiction novel by Aleksey Tolstoy and "hyperboloid" refers to a death ray weapon. Last July, Metallica covered this song during their concert in Estonia.

On the last day of Week 409, I heard Leonard Cohen's Halleleujah being played as a Christmas Song... It isn't, but that's Seoutheast Asia for ya,

I've wanted to give a shot at covering this song since I heard it.

this Hank Locklin song from 1961 could have been recorded in season 404 or 410:
it appeared on Australian singer-songwriter Darren Hanlon's2009 LP, Pointing Ray Guns At Pagans
jon - concert ukuleles, voice; kev - electric and acoustic baritone ukuleles, harmony

Thanks again for hosting Rick, it's been a fun week, with some fine entries! This one is a down and dirty one taker, at the end of a very long day, recorded with my buddy Marc Hinchey. Forgive the feeble lead passages by me. It's a reminder that less is more sometimes when playing lead :) Happy New Year to everyone ~

This one goes out to the Randy Season and huge McCartney/Beatles fan Randy...………

Last edited:
For all those seasons when I could have done something original but didn't.

This is a song by the '70s progressive rock band Camel that I didn't finish learning in time for Val's hands Season (407).

I had a few more ideas for last Season, here's one from Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' 1999 album Rock Art and the X-Ray Style.

Beatles cover - I'm only sleeping - it was intended to be part of the SotU 389. YorkSteve - Dream On - songs about Dreams and or Nightmares, but I ran out of time. Even this one i was struggling to get as far as I did.

i tried some reverse lead ukulele with no other effects except on backup vocals.

I will promise not to do more Beatles stuff for awhile :)

Thank you to Cameron R for helping with making this cover.

video source from https://www.youtube.com/user/evosiastudios

This is a Blitzen Trapper cover. This would have fit the theme for YorkSteve's Season 371 (songs whose titles start with "E"), or for my own Season 363 (Into the Void - one of the options was songs from Blitzen Trapper's "Destroyer of the Void" album).

Hello Rick, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're well on the mend now.
This one would have fitted Joko's season of the nines by virtue of Bessie Smith's version in 1929.

SOTU 411: I SANG TO HER - by Dennis Danner

This really doesn't meet your guidelines regarding originals, Rick, but I feel like my participation in the Seasons has been nothing but, "Missed Opportunities, Second Chances, and Do-Overs," for over a year. Hope that changes with the New Year!

This is the most recent song I wrote, and I quickly recorded it with me solo to use as a base track for adding in additional tracks from others in our small band, "Four Random Notes."

Hope to add in some: percussion (shakers & djembe) from Evelyn in addition to her harmonica on the break (unless I can find a violinist to lay down the break and some fills - anyone interested?) . And, Marylou and Evelyn will add some harmony vocals, along with some picking on a concert ukulele with Dave contributing on the U-bass line.

Feel free to send it to the Island, or not include it on the play list, but it feels good to finally be posting something to a Season again. It's a bit on the sad side, but I hope you enjoy my song about the last night I shared with my mother:

Here is a song that would have fit 410 (it’s from 1999), 400 (it’s about a Genie), and maybe 366? (she was a Mouseketeer)!

The air here is kind of apocalyptic, so forgive my wheezing this week… month…

Friends, Season 411 of the Ukulele is over.

Thanks for your entries, comments, and good thoughts.

A wrap up video will be up eventually!

Rick

Top Bottom