Question about the first string of a Tenor

rlgph

Reaction score
Hl all. I'm wondering whether there exists a set of strings with a first string that can comfortably be tuned up to B, or even to C or D on a tenor (17 inch scale). Or individual first strings that can be tuned to B, C, or D without feeling like they will break at any moment. Anyone know about this?

I suppose you could, but you need to up-tune all the strings or it will sound out of tune. For example, if you tune to A string to a D, the other strings would need to be tuned to A, F, and C.

There is the possibility that one of the strings would break. Moreover, I don't understand why you'd want to do this. I am actively seeking to evade the toy-like sound of the soprano and I loosen my strings instead of tightening them as you're suggesting. I think my tenor is currently tuned to E A C# F#, three frets looser than it is supposed to be.

C is possible. Living Water has a thin gauge not in their usual sets that will get there.

D I don't think is possible with that string, but there might be another out there that would work.

What's the overall target?

Why not just use another second string and tune it to D, a step lower than E?

I'm thinking of what i call 545 tuning, low to high: GDgd, FCfc, or EBeb. No problem down-tuning strings 3 & 4 (other than i don't want them too floppy), and probably not going up a 1/2 step (or possibly even a step) on string 2. String 1 is the problematical one.

I currently have my tenor tuned Eflat Bflat etc. With my current strinngs, 3 & 4 are floppier than i would like, and 1 feels really tight.

Last edited:
I have no idea if this is a good idea or not but there is an Aquila GDAE set for soparano ukulele for mandolin tuning. if you are tuning the high E down to a C it might work on the longer scale of the tenor. Even the d might be too much tension.

Edit - I am surprised that a normal a string for tenor tuned up to a b flat feels too tight. Are you sure it is the right string, I always get confused myself when moving strings around and have often put an e string at 1 by just mistake instead of the a.

Last edited:
The diameter of the 1st string on the d'Dadarrio and Aquila sets that i've used have both been 0.026 inches. The Martin M600 1st string is 0.0191 inches according to the juststrings site -- considerably smaller -- so they would probably work.

Perhaps the A string that i have at Bflat is not particularly tight. I have very little experience with ukulele strings (or nylon-like strings in general), so i am probably a bit paranoid about over-tightening strings on such a small, lightly-built instrument (by guitar standards).

Thanks for your comments.

I suppose you could, but you need to up-tune all the strings or it will sound out of tune. For example, if you tune to A string to a D, the other strings would need to be tuned to A, F, and C.

There is the possibility that one of the strings would break. Moreover, I don't understand why you'd want to do this. I am actively seeking to evade the toy-like sound of the soprano and I loosen my strings instead of tightening them as you're suggesting. I think my tenor is currently tuned to E A C# F#, three frets looser than it is supposed to be.

A Ukulele is vastly different from a guitar — primarily 6 strings vs. 4 — but.....

Many of the early 20th century Blues artists tuned their guitars to ‘odd’ tunings GDGDBE for example.

So I suppose that one can wrap their mind around a unique tuning scheme, anything is possible and will ‘work’

And if my mind would handle it, I would love to give it a try.

Tracy

I am surprised that a normal a string for tenor tuned up to a b flat feels too tight. Are you sure it is the right string, I always get confused myself when moving strings around and have often put an e string at 1 by just mistake instead of the a.

Inspired by this statement, i tuned my strings up one more half-step to get to EBeb. This has been acceptable: the E is pretty floppy, but i can live with it, and the b doesn't feel unacceptably high tension. Now, if they'll just stop stretching .... Thanks,

ron

6-string ukes have an octave higher C string and sets are available from Aquila, GHS, Worth, etc. You can check diameter of these sets and try to order individual strings, or just get a whole set as they are inexpensive. Synthetic strings all stretch, so you can probably push it up to a D without problem.

Top Bottom