NUD, Aklot all bamboo tenor cutaway to replace a Fluke

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a tenor walnut Fluke from the Marketplace for $150. I was persuaded by the various posts here on UU, and by the leader of my uke group who is friends with Dale, Phyllis and Jim. I wanted a beater uke I could leave out of my humidified cabinet.

After having to replace the wrong bridge, I found the shape of the neck to be very uncomfortable for me. I lived with it for while, but I also didn't really like the sound quality, even after changing the strings, flat and minimal sustain. I read a post here where a person sanded down the back of the neck and refinished, so I tried it. It helped a little but I didn't do a very good job, especially the finish.

So I started looking around for a replacement. None of the "plastic" ones fit the bill of tenor and cutaway. I also read a post here about the Aklot all bamboo uke for about $125, which seemed interesting, but it also didn't have a cutaway.

Then last night when I couldn't sleep, a did some surfing on eBay and found a new model Aklot tenor cutaway for $70 out-the-door from China. I looked up some reviews and videos, and it sounded really good to me, so I ordered it. It should be here in about 25 days, just before Chinese New Year. I'm going to add black fret markers, strap buttons, nut and saddle.

Aklot bamboo cutaway.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Last edited:
Funny you mention this. I too have Walnut Fluke, I can’t get right. Neck is awful. I put pegheds and they work great. It’s just those squarish necks. I know lots of people love them but no t me. Found on you tube a random review on allot bambo tenor, non cutaway and was interested. I like the cutaway version you have pictured. The standard 8 shape has some tacky burned in engraving in lower bout saying “designed by Aklot”.

Looking forward to you post on how it should.

Can you post link on site you got your cutaway from! Thanks for posting.

Nice! I want a bamboo uke too!

I am looking forward to a description of this "Solid Bmaboo". All bamboo I have seen is hollow so I am not sure how they would cut tenor sized pieces out of a stalk. The pictures suggest that it was cut into thin strips that are glued together. Can't beat the price though. In comparison I just bought a "Hanohano" long neck soprano for $85 which is a great uke almost comparable to my KoAloha that cost ten times as much.

Congrats, Mike. Bamboo use is very sustainable, compared to wood. I think it's really cool looking uke, too. I played a bamboo uke once, don't remember the builder, but I almost bought it, I liked it so much.

Congrats, Mike. Bamboo use is very sustainable, compared to wood. I think it's really cool looking uke, too. I played a bamboo uke once, don't remember the builder, but I almost bought it, I liked it so much.

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of bamboo, sustainable with a short growth period and very strong.

I am looking forward to a description of this "Solid Bmaboo". All bamboo I have seen is hollow so I am not sure how they would cut tenor sized pieces out of a stalk. The pictures suggest that it was cut into thin strips that are glued together.
You got it. Bamboo planks are generally made by cutting the stalks into strips, acid washing them to get rid of the nasty parts, and then laminating then together. They’re highly processed and should end up quite hard. Calling them “solid” is a misnomer but in line with the rest of the marketing.

You got it. Bamboo planks are generally made by cutting the stalks into strips, acid washing them to get rid of the nasty parts, and then laminating then together. They’re highly processed and should end up quite hard. Calling them “solid” is a misnomer but in line with the rest of the marketing.

I have several friends who have bamboo flooring in their homes. I myself have some bamboo clothing. So it is a very versatile material.

They must use an epoxy resin or other synthetic to glue and laminate the strips.

I have a bamboo cutting board that is several years old. It's hard and tough and I don't expect it to quit being a cutting board anytime soon.

When I first started looking at ukes, I read many threads on buying first ukes. Many suggeated the all weather plastic ukes, or the Makala, as ukes that you could take anywhere and leave them laying anywhere.

Bamboo seems like a better alternative than plastic or inexpensive laminate for an outdoor uke to me.

I'm just going to wait a while longer until someone makes a bamboo baritone. Hopefully all bamboo. Neck, fretboard and all. Like the Aklot.

Last edited:
I received the uke the other day, but couldn't find all black stick-on fret markers, so I ordered black pearl, which are a little too big. I bought a hole punch for leather with a variety of sizes and used the 2mm and 4mm punches, which came out very well. The ebony nut and saddle arrived, which I had to sand down because the action was too high. I also added black ball ends, which makes it very easy to replace the strings, and added black strap buttons with gold screws to match the tuners. It's ready to go out in public with the black and bamboo motif.

I really like the sound of this uke, bright and good projection, just my taste rather then the dull sound I got out of the Fluke. Aklot calls it solid, even suggested I watch the humidity, but since it's sideways laminated, and bamboo I understand is very impervious, I don't think there will be a humidity problem, at least I hope not since this is my beater sitting on a stand all the time.

Aklot black parts.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a fat baseball bat neck, at least from this pic.

Yes, it's a dual purpose instrument. :D

I never gave the neck a second thought - not a concern for me. I don't have it right here, but my mahogany Aklot with a pickup has a decent neck. I'd say it's 3/4" thick, measuring from the fretboard.

How is the neck profile on these? I saw one review (the non-cutaway version) and grabbed this screenshot. It looks like a fat baseball bat neck, at least from this pic.

Don't make a judgement from a low res picture online. The neck is as comfortable as any neck I've played, not oversized at all.

Still have to make a sound sample, and with time now, I'll try it Monday.

I received the uke the other day, but couldn't find all black stick-on fret markers, so I ordered black pearl, which are a little too big. I bought a hole punch for leather with a variety of sizes and used the 2mm and 4mm punches, which came out very well. The ebony nut and saddle arrived, which I had to sand down because the action was too high. I also added black ball ends, which makes it very easy to replace the strings, and added black strap buttons with gold screws to match the tuners. It's ready to go out in public with the black and bamboo motif.

I really like the sound of this uke, bright and good projection, just my taste rather then the dull sound I got out of the Fluke. Aklot calls it solid, even suggested I watch the humidity, but since it's sideways laminated, and bamboo I understand is very impervious, I don't think there will be a humidity problem, at least I hope not since this is my beater sitting on a stand all the time.

Aklot black parts.jpg

Hey, that’s a beauty. I’d be proud to play it in public any time, any place. I can see myself wearing a matching field hand’s straw hat, with a harp in my mouth, playing “Bile Them Cabbage Down.”

Hey, that’s a beauty. I’d be proud to play it in public any time, any place. I can see myself wearing a matching field hand’s straw hat, with a harp in my mouth, playing “Bile Them Cabbage Down.”

Adding the black accents to the Aklot made a big difference. I have all those parts for mine, but I haven't added them yet.

By the way, although I like bamboo, bamboo toothpicks are not a good idea. I bought a box of 1,000, and they break very easily.

Top Bottom