New Ono Baritone

saltytri

Reaction score
This is some very unusual claro walnut. I've seen it called "marblecake," which is just somebody's idea of good marketing but, nevertheless, that's a pretty good description. The construction is my new laminated technique with the inner layers being some nice but less distinguished claro and the center layers being black limba. The body shape is also new and has a more contemporary shape with a rounder and slightly larger lower bout to maximize the portion of the top that makes most of the sound. The top is Adirondack spruce with a bit of bear claw and a walnut and curly maple rosette. The bridge and radiused fretboard are ebony and the neck is Spanish cedar. The tuning is low D with the excellent Uke Logic "soft" strings that help to provide a well-balance tonal profile that is deep and mellow, as a baritone should be, with good sustain while maintaining clear note separation and just enough brightness. The finish on the body is pore-filled and glossy. The neck is finished with epoxy to a satin sheen for durability and smooth playability.

49294961642_db305875b2_z.jpg

49294932617_b178ca2a10_z.jpg

49294247198_e9abf85e8f_z.jpg

49294737091_f479a60bbb_z.jpg

Last edited:
David,

That's a beautiful uke, and I really like the look of the rosette. How do you like the Uke Logic strings?

Bill

Very nice!
I love that bridge!

David,

That's a beautiful uke, and I really like the look of the rosette. How do you like the Uke Logic strings?

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Good to hear from you. I'm really enjoying Joel's terrific strings. I've also put them on two tenors and was very impressed with the tone and balance. As a few have noted in other threads, they aren't the cheapest strings but strings don't get changed very often so cost isn't much of a factor. Besides improving our playing, which isn't the easiest thing to do, using good strings is the only thing players can do to optimize the sound of their instruments.

Wow! David, that is a fantastic looking baritone. The Claro walnut is quite stunning. The book match is just fantastic! Your builds are always great. This has to be right there at the top for beauty. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'll have to try the Uke Logic strings.

Very very nice David!

Can I ask what your thought process is on having three layers on the back? I've heard or double top classical guitars which eliminates the need for bracing and creates a more resonant top in theory. Is that what you are doing with the layered back here?

Cheers, kev

Exactly. Once you figure out how to make a quality laminate, the back isn't difficult. The center layer is always spruce laid transversely so the assembly ends up being strong enough. As with the laminated sides, we can be pretty sure that the structure won't be subject to deformation and cracking due to changes in humidity. The backs end up thicker than if they were single thickness and conventionally braced but they aren't dead at all. They're still resonant.

Wow! I love everything about that ukulele. Beautiful, with great sound. What more could anyone ask for? :)

I don't see it listed on HMS. Did it sell already? I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow! I love everything about that ukulele. Beautiful, with great sound. What more could anyone ask for? :)

I don't see it listed on HMS. Did it sell already? I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, it appears to have sold.

I am amazed how David keeps on refining and advancing his already wonderful baritones! Congratulations David.

If I wasn't flush with baritones and also have a Scott Wise baritone being built, I would have really liked to play this Ono. Truly David's ukes are in a class by themselves.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Yes, it disappeared pretty quickly from the web site so it does appear that it has sold. Looks like I better get started on another baritone right away! ;)

Top Bottom