Thread: New Ono Baritone

Default New Ono Baritone

This is some very unusual claro walnut. I've seen it called "marblecake," which is just somebody's idea of good marketing but, nevertheless, that's a pretty good description. The construction is my new laminated technique with the inner layers being some nice but less distinguished claro and the center layers being black limba. The body shape is also new and has a more contemporary shape with a rounder and slightly larger lower bout to maximize the portion of the top that makes most of the sound. The top is Adirondack spruce with a bit of bear claw and a walnut and curly maple rosette. The bridge and radiused fretboard are ebony and the neck is Spanish cedar. The tuning is low D with the excellent Uke Logic "soft" strings that help to provide a well-balance tonal profile that is deep and mellow, as a baritone should be, with good sustain while maintaining clear note separation and just enough brightness. The finish on the body is pore-filled and glossy. The neck is finished with epoxy to a satin sheen for durability and smooth playability.

Last edited by saltytri; 12-29-2019 at 12:47 PM.

David,

That's a beautiful uke, and I really like the look of the rosette. How do you like the Uke Logic strings?

Bill

Very nice!
    I love that bridge!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Exceptional, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by BillM View Post
    David,

That's a beautiful uke, and I really like the look of the rosette. How do you like the Uke Logic strings?

Bill
    Thanks, Bill. Good to hear from you. I'm really enjoying Joel's terrific strings. I've also put them on two tenors and was very impressed with the tone and balance. As a few have noted in other threads, they aren't the cheapest strings but strings don't get changed very often so cost isn't much of a factor. Besides improving our playing, which isn't the easiest thing to do, using good strings is the only thing players can do to optimize the sound of their instruments.

Wow! David, that is a fantastic looking baritone. The Claro walnut is quite stunning. The book match is just fantastic! Your builds are always great. This has to be right there at the top for beauty. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'll have to try the Uke Logic strings.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Nice lookin’ baritone. They’re ‘bout the only ukes I play anymore. I like the “glossy” dark wood.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information