Kala KA-FMC or Cordoba 15CM?

• Kala KA-FMC (Solid Spruce Top)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Cordoba 15CM (All Mahogany)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

HONOMO

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first ukulele (concert size). Which one of these would you choose, and why?

Kala KA-FMC - Solid Spruce Top with Maple back/sides (I assume laminate). $150 here locally. I believe it retails for around $260. Comes with a hard case.

Cordoba 15CM - All Mahogany. $79 here locally. I believe it retails for around $135. Does not come with a case.

Enya MAD - All Mahogany. Purchase new for $130.

I just replied to your other thread too. I haven't played that particular Kala model, but have played others. I have played the Cordoba (see your other thread).
Between those two, assuming both are well built and setup well, etc. most are going to say the Kala is the easy choice. That was my first thought too....but I don't think it was correct. This is why: I actually prefer the sound of a decent laminate over solid wood sometimes...
You said they're both local, so I suggest playing them both and seeing what YOU prefer. Forget the price and the name on the headstock, forget what they're each made of and see which one seems to work best for you. That's an ideal situation.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Jer. The spruce top is going to have a very different sound than a laminate. You've got the opportunity to try both, so see which sound appeals more. Cordoba has a bit of a different feel on the neck which you might prefer (or not) and you could end up saving a lot of money if you figure out spruce isn't your preference ... or you figure out the Kala is worth the extra money because you like it that much more.

The Kala....with the Cordoba neck.

In my experience, a solid top uke will usually sound better. Of those 3, I'd go for the solid top Kala. The solid spruce top should yield a brighter punchy tone, with a more complex tone than laminate mahogany. It is subjective, depending on the sound you seek. Laminates can also sound good, but a solid top or solid body is usually better.

Top Bottom