Carbon Fiber Ukulele from "Legacy Guitar Works"?

Rakelele

Reaction score
Last edited:
Anyone familiar with the "Legacy Guitar Works" company from Canada? Apparently, they are building Carbo fiber instruments:

http://sydenhamcurrent.ca/2019/03/14/wesley-twins-launch-legacy-guitar-works-in-wallaceburg/

Right now, they have a tenor ukulele listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...007855?hash=item44475c4e6f:g:ufsAAOSwxPRdkhg2

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rainer. I clicked on the link, read the article and it seems they have a lot of experience manufacturing carbon fibre products. I will contact them and ask some questions......any come to mind that you would like answered.

I just tried accessing Legacy Guitar Works on the web and was unsuccessful. A Facebook site shows up on Google, but, when I tried the two links, one came back with a "content unavailable" message and the other said I had to log into Facebook to continue. I don't do Facebook, so I don't have an account. I'm a bit surprised a company would limit their clientele by forcing membership into Facebook. Anybody with a Facebook account have better luck accessing their page?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rainer. I clicked on the link, read the article and it seems they have a lot of experience manufacturing carbon fibre products. I will contact them and ask some questions......any come to mind that you would like answered.

That's an amazing price point - $354 us shipped, for an all composite instrument.

If you get to ask some questions, how about what is the top? Single sheet, or a foam sandwich? Is the neck hollow? Are the frets silver nickle or stainless steel? Strap buttons are mentioned but not shown, so where are they positioned - body or heel of the neck? Returns accepted? Or would a loaner be available for a review?

In addition to Besley's excellent questions, I'm wondering what materials are used for the fretboard and saddle? I'd also encourage them to make an option with a side sound port and perhaps a radius fretboard. At this price point, this might be exactly what I'm willing to spend on a take-anywhere uke.

I can’t find an email and Facebook page is down but looks very interesting. Looking forward to where this is going. Legacy site also not coming up.

From a quick look, it seems that industrial manufacturing might dominate their business for now (more than what they'd/we'd like?)

one of the brothers' linked-in page:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-wesley-99252817/?originalSubdomain=ca

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a little more business info:
https://www.zoominfo.com/c/legacy-composites-inc/453602248
Legacy Composites Inc
Headquarters: 125 Mason St., Wallaceburg, Ontario, N8A 4L7, Canada
Employees: 16
Revenue: 3.2M
Description: Legacy Composites - The leading manufacturer of carbon fiber hard hats and carbon fiber welding helmets. All hand made in Canada....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.facebook.com/legacycarboninc/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I personally wouldn't look too deeply into this... manufacturing growing pains not on the instrument side
https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/wallacebu...legacy-composites-inc-0187-1071772/complaints

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wallaceburg Chamber of Commerce awards program Nov 2019

http://anyflip.com/lkjqx/rwgt/basic

AWARD NOMINEES

Chris & Kyle Wesley

Back in 2012 Legacy Composites began as a hobby that was born from a passion for working with
carbon fiber and experimenting with new manufacturing processes. Fast forward to 2019, we now
manufacture and sell a wide variety of products including the Worlds First & Only CSA compliant
hard hat manufactured from carbon fiber, welding helmets, motorcycle components and a line of
carbon fiber guitars and ukuleles. Our products are sold Worldwide and proudly made here in our
facility in Wallaceburg!

Legacy Guitars began with two brothers who had a passion for designing and building unique
instruments.

Back in 2018 Kyle and Chris decided to join forces by combining Kyle's expertise in crafting one of
kind guitars with Chris' skill with manufacturing items from carbon fiber. Together they have been
able to craft unique guitars and ukuleles which are impervious to temperature changes or humidity.

Currently we offer a line of guitars and ukuleles made from carbon fiber as well as
full wood models. Everything we make is proudly made in our facility in
Wallaceburg and we look forward to 2020 as we prepare for the release of a host of
new products.

The kickstarter mentioned in the initial article didn't go anywhere. It has a bit more information about what they were aiming at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1271221518/carbon-fiber-guitars-basses-and-ukuleles-legacy-gu?ref=discovery&term=carbon%20fiber%20guitar

Carbon Fiber Tenor Ukulele - Main Specifications

• Body and Neck Material - 100% Carbon Fiber
  • One-Piece Design body and neck
  • Scale Length - 17"
  • Fretboard Material - Composite
  • Number of Frets - 19
  • Fretboard Radius - Flat
  • Body Length - 12"
  • Body Width (Lower Bout) - 9.25"
  • Body Depth - 3"
  • Weight - 1.5 lb
Body & Neck

• Construction - 100% Carbon Fiber
  • Soundboard - 100% Carbon Fiber
  • Soundboard Bracing - None
  • Sound Hole Diameter - 2.56"
  • Finish - High Gloss or Matte
  • Machine Heads - Chrome or Black Locking Tuners
  • Fretboard - Composite
  • Width at Nut - 1.38"
  • Frets Clear of the Body - 14
Other

• Bridge Material - Composite
  • Bridge Style - Pinless
  • Bridge String Spacing - 1.54"
  • Strap Pins - Chrome or Black
  • Left Handed - Yes
  • Strings - D'Addario Clear Nylon

The announcement is from March 2019. The eBay link is interesting. Seems that there were 6 for sale and they have sold 2 of them. The price is also a temporary Black Friday Sale. But they are also accepting offers and they accept returns within 14 days. It sure seems like a product that just didn’t go anywhere and they are trying to get rid of whatever initial ukuleles they made.

I doubt there is any more info, so it would just be a hit or miss with a low offer. Worst case is having to pay return shipping.

John

It would be terrific to have a Canadian made carbon fibre travel tenor. However, given the obvious challenges the company faces delivering the cf welding helmets that they manufacture, I feel like the ukulele line may a dead end for the company and therefore a gamble when it comes to purchasing from them off of ebay.

Well neat as I think this is, if you check the eBay feedback for the seller legacycomposites you find that for one of the two ukes purchased the buyer left feedback of "No item, no communication, scammer". Which certainly could be miscommunication, but sure doesn't make we want to get involved with them.

It would be terrific to have a Canadian made carbon fibre travel tenor. However, given the obvious challenges the company faces delivering the cf welding helmets that they manufacture, I feel like the ukulele line may a dead end for the company and therefore a gamble when it comes to purchasing from them off of ebay.

I agree, and with so many products, where does the ukulele rank in order of importance for them? I'd want to see several reviews. Baz???

I just got a prompt reply from Chris, one of the designers of the uke and owners of the company. He was clear that the ukes have good playability and that they will be getting more of the instruments out for review and feedback. He addressed the bad review explaining the situation and saying that the customer, who wanted additional upgrades that were taking too long, received a full refund.
I am satisfied with the communications from Chris and will give this Canadian made carbon fibre tenor uke a try; my order has been placed.

Thanks for update. Looking forward to your comments and review. Can you PM me email for Chris?
Thanks.

I just got a prompt reply from Chris, one of the designers of the uke and owners of the company. He was clear that the ukes have good playability and that they will be getting more of the instruments out for review and feedback. He addressed the bad review explaining the situation and saying that the customer, who wanted additional upgrades that were taking too long, received a full refund.
I am satisfied with the communications from Chris and will give this Canadian made carbon fibre tenor uke a try; my order has been placed.

That's great news, and I too look forward to a review. With ukes it's kind of fun to track where they are made. Living now in Minnesota I just had to buy a Bonanza uke when they came out. And since my family is from Utah I couldn't resist the Klos kickstarter campaign when it was announced. I went to university in England and now own a Beltona resonator. But I've also lived in Africa, Michigan, and Connecticut, and don't yet have any ukes from those places - so I still have work to do.

Wow this is an incredible price for a carbon fiber ukulele - and I thought my UAS was over! I want one badly but will wait till someone here can tell us more about intonation and fit. If you look closely at the Ebay picture of the fretboard it looks like there is sloppy glue where the fretboard meets the body. That maybe a reflection or perhaps they are still perfecting their process?
I have two carbon fiber guitars and this carbon fiber work looks top notch.

Wow this is an incredible price for a carbon fiber ukulele - and I thought my UAS was over! I want one badly but will wait till someone here can tell us more about intonation and fit. If you look closely at the Ebay picture of the fretboard it looks like there is sloppy glue where the fretboard meets the body. That maybe a reflection or perhaps they are still perfecting their process?
I have two carbon fiber guitars and this carbon fiber work looks top notch.

Yeah, I saw the glue and some imperfections in the photos too. Chris assured me that the ukes for sale will be 100%, not prototypes and without any blemishes. According to his communication, they make them as they’re ordered and expect to ship about two weeks after the order is placed. Time will tell, eh?!

Fertie, send you a PM. Looking forward to your review!

A video of the ukulele being played would be nice

Top Bottom