Carbon Fiber Ukulele from "Legacy Guitar Works"?

No Tracking Info

By way of an update, I am reluctantly going to share my concern over the poor communication related to shipping of this uke. I was assured repeatedly in emails that when the uke shipped I’d receive a tracking number. Last week Chris sent me photos of the tenor nearly completed and he posted those same photos here on this thread. He said he had other photos of the finished uke and he would be sending those along with the tracking number.
I have emailed three times since then but have received no reply. No more photos. No assurance that the uke has shipped. And no tracking info.

I know I took a gamble purchasing from a very new and inexperienced company but I have to admit this type of lack of communication does not bode well. The instrument , should it actually arrive, will need to be impressive or I will not hesitate to return it and seek a cf tenor from a company with more integrity, good communication and a tried and true product.

Do I sound a bit peeved now? Yes. Do I wish I hadn’t taken a chance on this uke? Maybe.

Hi Erin,

Email coming your way! I completely understand where you are coming from and apologize for the concern that this has raised. I sent the pictures to you Tuesday morning however I see now that the email bounced back (image files too large).

But as I mentioned, reaching out to you now.

It goes without saying that we are very much appreciative of the fact that you took a chance with our new company and have allowed us to build this ukulele for you. With regards to communication we can always strive to be better, and up until the last emails you sent we had actually responded to you within 24 hours on all previous emails. However like I said there is always room for improvement and we will continue to work on it.

Erin-Final-1.jpg
Erin-Final-2.jpg
Erin-Final-3.jpg

OK, Chris and I are getting the details sorted out now.... between tech issues related to photo file size and confusion over expectations of the shipping company, things got a bit off the rails.
Now I have received some updated photos and details about the completed uke and Chris has changed shipping methods and offered to cover the shipping costs himself.
I am pleased to report that the cf tenor uke project is back on track and the uke should arrive very soon.

First impressions of the carbon fibre ukulele by legacy/synergy are very positive.

The uke is very well built making it obvious that the guys at Synergy know their stuff when it comes to working with carbon fibre. The tuners chosen for the tenor look excellent on the headstock and function well. The bridge is not only attractive in its sleek design but it is also very practical keeping the string ends out of sight and away from snagging on sleeves or skin.

There is a bit of filing of the nut and fret wires that would help make the ukulele more comfortable to play and I’m sure the future ukes will have attention given to these finishing details.

In terms of playability, the uke has lovely tone when played quietly and definitely does not lack when it comes to volume once digging in for a lively melody or flurry of barre chording. A bit more precision given to both installing the frets and dressing them will bring this ukulele up another notch.

At the moment the Synergy carbon fibre ukulele, especially at its current price point, is a excellent choice for a travel ukulele or even as a main instrument. Undoubtedly there will be refinement to the fretboard that will make this an even more comfortable uke to play as the model settles into production.

Glad it worked out. Any chance of close up picture when you get a minute? Chris, link to website!
Thanks

First impressions of the carbon fibre ukulele by legacy/synergy are very positive.

The uke is very well built making it obvious that the guys at Synergy know their stuff when it comes to working with carbon fibre. The tuners chosen for the tenor look excellent on the headstock and function well. The bridge is not only attractive in its sleek design but it is also very practical keeping the string ends out of sight and away from snagging on sleeves or skin.

There is a bit of filing of the nut and fret wires that would help make the ukulele more comfortable to play and I’m sure the future ukes will have attention given to these finishing details.

In terms of playability, the uke has lovely tone when played quietly and definitely does not lack when it comes to volume once digging in for a lively melody or flurry of barre chording. A bit more precision given to both installing the frets and dressing them will bring this ukulele up another notch.

At the moment the Synergy carbon fibre ukulele, especially at its current price point, is a excellent choice for a travel ukulele or even as a main instrument. Undoubtedly there will be refinement to the fretboard that will make this an even more comfortable uke to play as the model settles into production.

Sounds promising. I was very disappointed with the factory setup on my Klos, but it was all easily remedied (well, easy if you know how) and the final result was well worth the effort. Is it just the fret ends on your Synergy that are a concern (which is easy to fix) or the leveling of the frets that needs work (which is a lot more trouble)? Good thing about the synthetic fretboard is that once the fret ends are addressed you won't ever have to do that again.

Erin,

Very happy that you have received your ukulele. Love hearing the positive review as well as the feedback on what can be improved. Please feel free to send myself or Chris an email on any recommendations you have.

We want these perfect right out of the box so anything we can improve, the feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to answer any additional questions should anyone have any. We will have videos very soon as well FYI.

And lastly, website link will be posted this week, just finalizing a few things prior to launch.

Thanks,
Kyle

Erin,

Very happy that you have received your ukulele. Love hearing the positive review as well as the feedback on what can be improved. Please feel free to send myself or Chris an email on any recommendations you have.

We want these perfect right out of the box so anything we can improve, the feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to answer any additional questions should anyone have any. We will have videos very soon as well FYI.

And lastly, website link will be posted this week, just finalizing a few things prior to launch.

Thanks,
Kyle

Hey Kyle, I sent Chris an email with detailed feedback earlier today.

I’m pleased to part of this uke build process even if it’s just to test drive and share observations.

This is very promising for a fairly new product. Thanks for the detailed review Erin. Sound quality and build quality, especially carbon fibre instruments are the most important factors. Fret wire finish and set up are an easy fix and if the nut and fret ends will be taken care of at the factory it makes for a compelling reason to buy one.

Last edited:
I would love to order a soprano from y’all. It’s hard to find carbon fiber soprano ukuleles out there.

They are reworking the tenor ukulele and have changed the company name. They pulled all social media links under that old name and will be starting fresh with a new name. They are making numerous changes to the tenor and will be coming out with a soprano and baritone. I believe a guitar is in the future as well. I believe they want to get this right before launching the new name, website, social media presence etc.

Full disclosure I have been in possession of the tenor for a few weeks now. I have got it into the hands of a number of talented players as well as a luthier of my acquaintance. Hint.....I own three of his instruments. Many changes/improvements have been suggested. Lyle and I have been communicating a lot and he is committed to making all the changes suggested.

Hope this helps.......you will just have to be patient but there will be a much improved finished product in the future. I will say one this, the overall construction and lay out is excellent and most people were more then pleased with the tone.

They are reworking the tenor ukulele and have changed the company name. They pulled all social media links under that old name and will be starting fresh with a new name. They are making numerous changes to the tenor and will be coming out with a soprano and baritone. I believe a guitar is in the future as well. I believe they want to get this right before launching the new name, website, social media presence etc.

Full disclosure I have been in possession of the tenor for a few weeks now. I have got it into the hands of a number of talented players as well as a luthier of my acquaintance. Hint.....I own three of his instruments. Many changes/improvements have been suggested. Lyle and I have been communicating a lot and he is committed to making all the changes suggested.

Hope this helps.......you will just have to be patient but there will be a much improved finished product in the future. I will say one this, the overall construction and lay out is excellent and most people were more then pleased with the tone.

Thank You
But it's so silly just to close everything. Post an explanation and a timeline on the old site and keep customers happy.
I thought they had gone bankrupt.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. Looking forward to more from these folks and supporting a new Canadian builder.

Its not silly to close everything if it is just getting bogged down with rubber neckers and social media. Its a good idea to close it down and get rid of the distractions.

Many of the planet's best luthiers have a very meagre web presence, they do not need a super web site. All they need is a page with a telephone number and an email, the customers still inundate them with orders.

If Legacy makes a great instrument, they will never really need much of an internet presence. All they will need is to answer the telephone and emails within a few days. The customers will find them.

I am glad you get it Bill. I understand peoples enthusiasm in wanting information but the company just started to make a couple initial instruments. They are now making many changes and want to get it absolutely right. A new company name with new media presence makes the most sense to them. Both principles of the company are members here and have posted on this thread.

Thank you very much for posting Dave, couldn’t have said it better myself.

As Dave said we want to make sure we have everything right before going all in on the social media/website. A quality instrument is our first priority. Once that has been accomplished then we will launch the website and social media.

Dave and number of players he has gotten out ukulele in the hands of have provided some invaluable feedback and we take that seriously and will be incorporating all those in to our refined ukulele.

Thank you everyone for the patience. The refined tenor, soprano and baritone will be finished in about two weeks at which point we will post more photos and specs.

Kyle

Great news! Any plans for a concert size?

Top Bottom