Straps for Banjo Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
My banjo ukes tend to be on the heavy side, and I was wondering if there is a good strap system that won't scratch the wooden body. I'd like something that goes on and off easily and quickly. I thought of using these as a starter, leaving them on the uke and attaching the strap to them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HLJSCP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Jerry, you can buy banjo straps with plastic quick release hooks which clip on to the tension hooks. I haven't got an image for you but Google will fix that. I intend to get one for my B/U.

I like these Neotech banjo straps. They have quick-release clips. You loop the ends through the banjo hooks where you want them and snap on the rest of the strap. They really do seem like they reduce the strain on your shoulders when you are standing and playing. The width and slight stretch helps to distribute the weight. I have them on my Southern Cross and Deering tenor banjo ukes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E1NQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neotech Super Banjo Strap, Black (5701002)
Tailored neoprene pad with internal control-stretch design
Easy to attach
Very strong and durable
Fully adjustable
Made in the USA

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000P4FBPU/ref=psdc_491008011_t1_B0002E1NQ4

Neotech Mega Banjo Strap (8301062)
Tailored design with patented control-stretch system makes instruments feel 50% lighter and 100% more comfortable
Constructed of soft, durable neoprene, elastic for added support, and two layers of memory foam to add extra cushion and help wick away moisture
Available in many sizes to accommodate most any player and instrument combination
Fully adjustable in length 52" - 61" (132,1cm - 154,9cm)
Made in the USA

Any color you want, as long as it's black.

Neotech Banjo Strap.jpg

Happy new Uking year, first of all!

And then, Jerry, if it‘s heavy, make sure the strap isn‘t too thin. Tends to be uncomfortable. I have a really heavy Banjolele myself, it‘s a not too expensive Chinese model with a resonator. It IS heavy, for sure, and I use a guitar strap for it, attached at the head and one of the screws which tighten the skin. But of course, I don‘t need to remove it from the instrument, as I use it on this one exclusively. It‘s a really thick Martin belt, very well padded and it‘s quite comfortable to hold the uke for a longer time. Wasn‘t too expensive, either.

I've got a leather thong on my Southern Cross. Otherwise, drop an email to Lori at UkeLeash, and see what she can do for you. I use her straps only, on any of the ukes I use straps on. (Lori is a UU member.)

-Kurt​

Hi Jerry, you can buy banjo straps with plastic quick release hooks which clip on to the tension hooks. I haven't got an image for you but Google will fix that. I intend to get one for my B/U.

Thanks. I have one of your early builds arriving in a few days.

View attachment 124057

Thanks. I'm surprised they don't offer the banjo attachment bits separately. Well, it looks like they do.
https://neotechstraps.com/neo-loops.html
https://smile.amazon.com/Neotech-Lo...s&qid=1577964400&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-1

As for "Any color..." Ford wanted a fast-drying paint to speed up production, and black was the fastest - or so the story goes.

EDIT: I thought their products looked familiar. Neotech is a division of OP/TECH. That's a U. S. company that makes excellent straps for cameras. I already have their straps, so I can buy just the connectors for my banjo ukes.

Last edited:
I ordered the connector loops from Amazon, but it would have taken over a month to get them. I canceled the order and ordered them directly from Neotech. I had to pay $7.83 shipping, but I'll get them next week.

This is the strap I use on my ML Neal banjo Uke. It is a very heavy instrument, this strap is very comfortable.

I like these Neotech banjo straps. They have quick-release clips. You loop the ends through the banjo hooks where you want them and snap on the rest of the strap. They really do seem like they reduce the strain on your shoulders when you are standing and playing. The width and slight stretch helps to distribute the weight. I have them on my Southern Cross and Deering tenor banjo ukes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E1NQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neotech Super Banjo Strap, Black (5701002)
Tailored neoprene pad with internal control-stretch design
Easy to attach
Very strong and durable
Fully adjustable
Made in the USA

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000P4FBPU/ref=psdc_491008011_t1_B0002E1NQ4

Neotech Mega Banjo Strap (8301062)
Tailored design with patented control-stretch system makes instruments feel 50% lighter and 100% more comfortable
Constructed of soft, durable neoprene, elastic for added support, and two layers of memory foam to add extra cushion and help wick away moisture
Available in many sizes to accommodate most any player and instrument combination
Fully adjustable in length 52" - 61" (132,1cm - 154,9cm)
Made in the USA

View attachment 124057

EDIT: I thought their products looked familiar. Neotech is a division of OP/TECH. That's a U. S. company that makes excellent straps for cameras. I already have their straps, so I can buy just the connectors for my banjo ukes.

Jerry, I didn't make the connection between Neotech & OP/Tech. Great catch. Now I know which camera strap to get. :)

Well, I messed up. I asked Neotech if their clips were the same as the OP/TECH clips. "OP/TECH" is printed on the clips, so I assumed they were the same. Why make two different kinds of clips? I didn't get a reply from them till last night, after the order had been shipped. I ordered three sets of the clips that stay attached to the ukes, so now I'll have to order one strap to use with them, since the OP/TECH camera straps won't work with them. :(

Jerry, I didn't make the connection between Neotech & OP/Tech. Great catch. Now I know which camera strap to get. :)

Yes, their camera straps are great, and all the connectors, clips, and straps work with each other - very convenient. The Neotech uke clips are different, though, so they will not work with camera straps.

I have the answer to your problem, but I dunno how to ‘splain it., but I’ll give it a try.

Here’s what I do with my banjo straps. I cut a piece of thick belt leather about an inch square and punch one big hole in it or two smaller ones. Then I thread a piece of shoe lace, preferably round, through the holes and tie knots.

So, what I then have is a piece of square leather with some looped shoe string about 2 or 2.5 inches attached to it.

I then stick the loop through the hole in the strap and then under the head attacher on the banjo head and back over the piece of leather.

Again, stick the shoelace loop through the strap attachment hole and under the bar that holds the banjo head on and then back over the leather loop — and Bob’s yer uncle . . .

You can take it off whenever you want, it won’t scratch anything and it don’t cost nuthin’!

I’ve seen these for sale, but I dunno know where or what one calls them. I hope this helps. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I suppose you could buy a banjo strap with the small leather attachers. I don’t like them though. They twist and get tangled. :eek:ld:

I suppose you could buy a banjo strap with the small leather attachers. I don’t like them though. They twist and get tangled. :eek:ld:

For my heavy Gold Tone DLX, I used the OP/TECH detachable connectors that stay on the instrument, and I clipped a camera strap onto them. The camera connectors have very short cords, though. The banjo cords are longer and will be easier to work with. I'll order a Neotech strap from Amazon today.

More info. Neotech wrote back and explained the difference between the camera and instrument straps. The camera straps have male at one end and female at the other. The instrument straps have male on the strap and female on the connector.

More info. Neotech wrote back and explained the difference between the camera and instrument straps. The camera straps have male at one end and female at the other. The instrument straps have male on the strap and female on the connector.

Thanks for following up with that Jerry. I was thinking about it. Seems that the clips/connectors would have to be more robust to handle the much greater weight of a banjo than that of a camera. Even the old heavy lenses and camera bodies didn't come close to that of a banjo. (Yeah, I know, there are exceptions.)

Did you see the clever idea to secure the clips? If you want to make double-sure that your connector won't accidentally come open, use these Velcro strips to wrap around the clip. (Kind of defeats the rapid-change aspect of the clips.) But for an expensive instrument, or camera, on an outing; where you don't plan to remove or change the strap, it might make sense.

Op/Tech sells a set of four, for $6.00. Called: "Secure Its." Or you could make your own.
Secure Its.jpg

Thanks for following up with that Jerry. I was thinking about it. Seems that the clips/connectors would have to be more robust to handle the much greater weight of a banjo than that of a camera. Even the old heavy lenses and camera bodies didn't come close to that of a banjo. (Yeah, I know, there are exceptions.)

Did you see the clever idea to secure the clips? If you want to make double-sure that your connector won't accidentally come open, use these Velcro strips to wrap around the clip. (Kind of defeats the rapid-change aspect of the clips.) But for an expensive instrument, or camera, on an outing; where you don't plan to remove or change the strap, it might make sense.

Op/Tech sells a set of four, for $6.00. Called: "Secure Its." Or you could make your own.
View attachment 124075

When they arrive on Tuesday(?), I'll compare the two types of clips. I'd bet they're identical, with the only difference being which clips are put on which ends. I've seen those security strips advertised for camera use, too.

Top Bottom