Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straps for Banjo Uke

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post

EDIT: I thought their products looked familiar. Neotech is a division of OP/TECH. That's a U. S. company that makes excellent straps for cameras. I already have their straps, so I can buy just the connectors for my banjo ukes.
    Jerry, I didn't make the connection between Neotech & OP/Tech. Great catch. Now I know which camera strap to get.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Well, I messed up. I asked Neotech if their clips were the same as the OP/TECH clips. "OP/TECH" is printed on the clips, so I assumed they were the same. Why make two different kinds of clips? I didn't get a reply from them till last night, after the order had been shipped. I ordered three sets of the clips that stay attached to the ukes, so now I'll have to order one strap to use with them, since the OP/TECH camera straps won't work with them.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Jerry, I didn't make the connection between Neotech & OP/Tech. Great catch. Now I know which camera strap to get.
    Yes, their camera straps are great, and all the connectors, clips, and straps work with each other - very convenient. The Neotech uke clips are different, though, so they will not work with camera straps.

I have the answer to your problem, but I dunno how to ‘splain it., but I’ll give it a try.

Here’s what I do with my banjo straps. I cut a piece of thick belt leather about an inch square and punch one big hole in it or two smaller ones. Then I thread a piece of shoe lace, preferably round, through the holes and tie knots.

So, what I then have is a piece of square leather with some looped shoe string about 2 or 2.5 inches attached to it.

I then stick the loop through the hole in the strap and then under the head attacher on the banjo head and back over the piece of leather.

Again, stick the shoelace loop through the strap attachment hole and under the bar that holds the banjo head on and then back over the leather loop — and Bob’s yer uncle . . .

You can take it off whenever you want, it won’t scratch anything and it don’t cost nuthin’!

I’ve seen these for sale, but I dunno know where or what one calls them. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 01-03-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I have the answer to your problem, but I dunno how to ‘splain it., but I’ll give it a try.
    Thanks. Good idea.

I suppose you could buy a banjo strap with the small leather attachers. I don’t like them though. They twist and get tangled.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I suppose you could buy a banjo strap with the small leather attachers. I don’t like them though. They twist and get tangled.
    For my heavy Gold Tone DLX, I used the OP/TECH detachable connectors that stay on the instrument, and I clipped a camera strap onto them. The camera connectors have very short cords, though. The banjo cords are longer and will be easier to work with. I'll order a Neotech strap from Amazon today.

More info. Neotech wrote back and explained the difference between the camera and instrument straps. The camera straps have male at one end and female at the other. The instrument straps have male on the strap and female on the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    More info. Neotech wrote back and explained the difference between the camera and instrument straps. The camera straps have male at one end and female at the other. The instrument straps have male on the strap and female on the connector.
    Thanks for following up with that Jerry. I was thinking about it. Seems that the clips/connectors would have to be more robust to handle the much greater weight of a banjo than that of a camera. Even the old heavy lenses and camera bodies didn't come close to that of a banjo. (Yeah, I know, there are exceptions.)

Did you see the clever idea to secure the clips? If you want to make double-sure that your connector won't accidentally come open, use these Velcro strips to wrap around the clip. (Kind of defeats the rapid-change aspect of the clips.) But for an expensive instrument, or camera, on an outing; where you don't plan to remove or change the strap, it might make sense.

Op/Tech sells a set of four, for $6.00. Called: "Secure Its." Or you could make your own.
    Secure Its.jpg
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Thanks for following up with that Jerry. I was thinking about it. Seems that the clips/connectors would have to be more robust to handle the much greater weight of a banjo than that of a camera. Even the old heavy lenses and camera bodies didn't come close to that of a banjo. (Yeah, I know, there are exceptions.)

Did you see the clever idea to secure the clips? If you want to make double-sure that your connector won't accidentally come open, use these Velcro strips to wrap around the clip. (Kind of defeats the rapid-change aspect of the clips.) But for an expensive instrument, or camera, on an outing; where you don't plan to remove or change the strap, it might make sense.

Op/Tech sells a set of four, for $6.00. Called: "Secure Its." Or you could make your own.
    Secure Its.jpg
    When they arrive on Tuesday(?), I'll compare the two types of clips. I'd bet they're identical, with the only difference being which clips are put on which ends. I've seen those security strips advertised for camera use, too.

Thread Information