2020 New Years Goals

RafterGirl

Reaction score
These were mine for 2019......
1. Gain confidence in playing & singing in front of people.
2. Learn more chord melodies & a little bit of finger picking.

How did I do......
1. Getting better. I played solos for uke groups and at church. Singing still needs a lot of work.
2. Getting there. I learned a lot more and even wrote a couple original chord melodies.

For 2020......
1. Continue to work on performance skills.
2. Be content with the wonderful ukuleles that I have. Quit looking.
3. Retire after 40 years of pediatric nursing, but continue as a music volunteer at the children’s hospital.
I think #3 will go a long ways towards fulfilling #1 &#2

What are your ukulele goals for 2020?

Last edited:
Performance:
Work up a song to the point where I can (and do) perform it at our local open mic.

Record 4 songs for Seasons of the Ukulele - I finished three in 2019 then quagmired on a bunch that I couldn't complete in a week.

Play the UBass for the group that currently doesn't have a regular bass player. I did my first group bass effort on boxing day for a small group and it went ok.

Learning:
Finish going through The Ukulele Way lessons. Aiming for a book a month, but I've got lots of room to slip that so long as I make consistent progress.

Stuff:
Finish the ukulele kits I've been working on for over a year. The first is done except for finishing once the weather warms. The second may get started inside.

Get rid of the ukuleles I'm not playing. One uke and two guitars already out, but I still have two sopranos that I'm storing but not touching and a baritone that's being replaced on Friday.

A bunch of us in the band are going to take the grade 1 ukulele music exam! In my case I'm going to concentrate on the fingerpicking curriculum, as although I have loads of experience with strumming, my fingerpicking is still very elementary.

Learn the fretboard.
Learn moveable chords.
Better groove my strum patterns.
Better groove my picking patterns.
Keep learning music theory.
Oh, and practice with a specific goal in mind.

So much to learn. So little time.

I was able to pick up the Uke almost every day last yr. I would be grateful to keep that pace up. Also, turning my love hate relationship with my metronome to all love.

Wow, these are some wonderful ideas...
Raftergirl, you've really started something.
I guess my loosely formed goals would be to learn to fingerpick better, learn to play in lo G, learn more moveable chords, learn to sing harmony, get our trio known better, write a catchy song, and grow Ukers For Life by 2 more members and get us into more places where people need healing music.
Oh, yeah, and finally begin to learn Spanish. There are many Spanish speaking people here.
And finally, and not least, learn more tolerance. Get upset less.
It's a good thing I'm retired.

From a different thread
Mine
  1. Learn more songs and complete more books
  2. Go up the neck for chords more often
  3. Meet more uke players and play together
  4. Do not go over 20 ukes..
1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Oh no..

1. Learn more songs, finish the duet for solo book by James Hill (3 down so far)
2. Figure out chords by ear for songs I hear, cross check. Try more variations of chords/jazz things up.
3. Learn more slack key guitar songs
4. Try to find more folks (varying instruments) to jam with
5. Stop experimenting with strings and bring it down 2-3 string types (Uke logic, Worth brown, Living water)
6. Reduce uke collection, must let go of some puppies :-( and no new uke (except for the ones for which I have paid the deposit)

Enjoy your retirement, Rafter!
And, Nickie, if you find the secret to tolerance, please get the rest of the world to practice it too. I think we're going to see a big need for it in 2020. I'm sure I will.

My goals:
Keep playing every day in spite of increased work hours at one of my jobs. And don't buy another ukulele with the increased income. LOL.

I'd like to have my practice time be more focused, but as long as I'm playing and having fun, it's all good.

In 2019 it was, "Have fun playing ukulele. Wait, I'm already doing that. So let's make that; continue having fun playing ukulele".

Rolling into 2020 I find myself still having fun so I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Thanks raftergirl and enjoy your retirement.

I am going to
1. Always have 8 songs ready to play (2019 goal was 3 songs ready at any one time)
2. Perform in public again, i havent performed for a non family/friends sober audience in two years
3. Progress from strumming to melody playing, starting with learning some scales which i am doing right now
4. Memorise the 12 bar blues instead of having to read off a chord sheet

Last edited:
Start playing uke again after a 5-year break.

Buy a Compass Rose Tenor Jumbo uke from Rick Turner or a used one from a UU member.

Spend less time with the tabs and more with the treble clef.

I can already finger pick okay by ear, tabs or staff music. Where I fall apart is adding chords to my tunes and memorizin’ stuff. There’s not much I can do about the memorizing though.

Sooo, I’m gonna continue to noodle by ear, and play stuff with tabs while adding chord accompaniment. I don’t play dots much with my baritone or my tenor guitars.

I don’t sing very much any more because it sometimes aggravates my asthma and makes me cough. I do it or whistle when I can. :eek:ld:

Start playing uke again after a 5-year break.

Buy a Compass Rose Tenor Jumbo uke from Rick Turner or a used one from a UU member.

No luck on the Compass Rose for 2020. Maybe 2021 will be luckier. I did get a Kiwaya KTS-7 soprano and I’m playing it at least once a month. Going for at least twice a month in 2021.

Top Bottom