NBD: Magic Fluke Timber Bass

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Got my Timber in, but I can't really tell you about it yet. :p

Nice! Love the voice. Hope you can get your own back soon!

That Timber bass sounds great!

Thanks for sharing this video!

Congrats Jim!

Sorry about the laryngitis. it hits me about every two years.

I used one a couple of years ago in the Magic Fluke booth at NAMM accompanying Ukulele Bart, and also at Boulevard Music in Culver City early last year for a ukulele class recital where I was asked to accompany and I forgot I added an on/off switch to my active bass uke and had to borrow one. Of course when I was driving home stewing over it, I remembered the on/off switch.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wholly molly Jim, I didn't know La Bella made that short a scale, that's exactly what I need for the 22" scale guitars I'm converting to bass. Hey, Magic Fluke has them on their web site with their own packaging, but say they have a nylon core, I don't want that. Where did you get the La Bella packaged ones?

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Wholly molly Jim, I didn't know La Bella made that short a scale, that's exactly what I need for the 22" scale guitars I'm converting to bass. Hey, Magic Fluke has them on their web site with their own packaging, but say they have a nylon core, I don't want that. Where did you get the La Bella packaged ones?
The round wounds are nylon core, the flats are steel. AFAIK, you have to order those through Magic Fluke as well. I think they are not on the web site because they don't sell as many fretless basses and the flats have bad intonation issues on fretted. Also note that the Timber scale length is 21.5" and these strings *just* fit between the nut and bridge. So they may not work on your 22". If you want I can send you one of the broken ones (it snapped above the blue wrapped portion) to see if they work for you. PM me your address.

Hi Jim:

Congratulations on you new bass. I'm enjoying my Timber Bass as well. I have round wounds on them. Just curious, what is the reason you changed the strings to flat wounds?

Luke

I prefer the smooth feel to the flats by far over the rounds and I'm looking for a less bright, "jazzier" tone than the rounds. I should have another follow up video this week with a sound sample and some additional thoughts.

Jim, lots of good information, well done visual and audio presentation of the two types of strings. I'm certainly a flatwound supporter. BTW, the pronunciation of the Road Toad Pahoehoe is pah-ho-eh-ho-eh, in Hawaiian every vowel is pronounced.

Nice review Jim. I appreciate your honesty. I want to throw in another con. What do you think of the input jack for attaching the strap? I've had trouble with my strap falling off while playing because it doesn't seem to be a good fit. I had to install an Acoustic-lok to eliminate that issue. Other than that I love my Timber.

Luke

Nice review Jim. I appreciate your honesty. I want to throw in another con. What do you think of the input jack for attaching the strap? I've had trouble with my strap falling off while playing because it doesn't seem to be a good fit. I had to install an Acoustic-lok to eliminate that issue. Luke

That's one of my deal breakers, I will not buy anything that has a combination strap button/output jack.

What do you think of the input jack for attaching the strap? I've had trouble with my strap falling off while playing because it doesn't seem to be a good fit. I had to install an Acoustic-lok to eliminate that issue.
So far, so good, but good to know there's a fix if I need it.

Nice review Jim. I appreciate your honesty. I want to throw in another con. What do you think of the input jack for attaching the strap? I've had trouble with my strap falling off while playing because it doesn't seem to be a good fit. I had to install an Acoustic-lok to eliminate that issue. Other than that I love my Timber.

Luke

I've never had a problem with the 3 Ubasses I've had. I just cut the hole a little bigger for a good fit.

Top Bottom