New YouTube channel

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
After nearly 7 years of no real content on YouTube I have decided to add content again.

Unlike before where I had 134 videos showing the various stages of construction, completed works demos and such like this new channel focuses on the techniques I use to build ukulele - hence the title The Ukulele Maker. I am not going to make a How To Build A Ukulele series or even demo completed works. This introductory video is my 'mission statement' so if you agree with it and want to access my content please like and subscribe.

Now you will know that the reason I took down my last channel was :
Trolling
Contentious arguing about my right to pose as a self proclaimed 'expert'
The grind of editing
Complaints that the videos 'weren't in order'

I don't want to get into flame wars with anybody and I am not indulging in shameless self promotion here. I think I still have a few tricks up my sleeve and something to offer the building community. Please support my efforts to get as much information into 'open source' platforms before Parkinson's Disease robs me of the ability to do so - for the first time yesterday I found gripping a pencil to free-hand draw an unusual challenge.

As of writing I have 16 likes and 1 dislike. I wish people would support their dislike fetish with the decency of a comment so I can better understand why they do this. If I dislike I always post why. I know that this is the territory that attends YouTube and I will try my best to thicken up my skin and ignore it.

I hope and trust that this is seen as a genuine request and response to those who want to have better access to what I do. I am not promoting my work either here or through this channel and will not be posting links to the videos here to engage you with the channel. This is the one and only time you will hear from me about this new venture.

Lastly, if you have requests for topics for me to cover please get in touch.

Hi Pete,

I’m running two ukulele channels. First, I moderate all comments...some people are just happy to make others miserable. Second, the dislike button serves a purpose for video watchers...if they dislike your video, others like it will not show in their “home” feeds. As a result, people hit that button not to send a message (some do) but to refine what they want offered to them by the service.

So, ignore the dislikes and trolls, and publish what you want to publish.

Hi Pete,
I always welcome your videos which I find very watchable, enjoyable, and educational.

Cheers mate.
Beau

Thanks, Pete, I always find something(s) of value in your videos.
Two things I find off-putting in technique-focused videos:
1. Presenters wandering off video for more than a few seconds to find something they left elsewhere.
2. Presenters rambling on about stuff that is not pertinent to the task in hand.
My tuppence worth.
Miguel

Thank you! I'm not a builder, but find it very interesting, and hope to pick a few tips to help me in general uke maintenance/mods. Watching you shave down a saddle with a plane in another video was great, instead of rubbing it (and sometimes my fingertips:) ) on sandpaper, as I was wont to do previlously.

Hi Pete,

I’m running two ukulele channels. First, I moderate all comments...some people are just happy to make others miserable. Second, the dislike button serves a purpose for video watchers...if they dislike your video, others like it will not show in their “home” feeds. As a result, people hit that button not to send a message (some do) but to refine what they want offered to them by the service.

So, ignore the dislikes and trolls, and publish what you want to publish.

That's an interesting reason for people to hit dislike. Makes sense, and I could see doing it myself if it didn't feel like a personal attack. I do it when streaming music so they don't play a specific song again, so I get the logic.

I figure some people hit the dislike to be contrarian, but also, touch screens. I once accidentally hit the dislike button on my phone and then cancelled the dislike, but I could see people doing it without even knowing they disliked it.

Thanks everyone. My YouTube channel will be edited content so no bumbling about the workshop. It's not like my fly-on-the-bench broadcasts I do on FaceBook and I will do what I stated I will do which is not a 'How To Make' series; it's taking my background in cabinet making, design, engineering and art metalwork, showing how these form the skill-set for luthiery. My focus is not on preaching the gospel of ukulele making. I will be sharing how I use all these skills in 'my practice'. You can access it and if it works for you great. You may find some of the stuff too 'unique' to me to be of any use.

A long time ago I stated on this forum my intention to do a build series. The pressures of fulfilling orders never left me any time to do this. Robbie O'Brien has an on-line course and there is some fabulous content on sequenced building of ukulele to be had on YouTube. I used to have such content. This is diffferent. It is, in effect, all the things I didn't show or discuss; my 'secrets' if you like.

Without over-defending my position can I emphasise:
1: I am not doing this to promote my work or courses
2: I will be showing 'my' solutions not 'the' solutions to help in the making of fretted musical instruments with the emphasis on ukulele. This means by default you will see me working on my pieces - something I cannot avoid
3: If you really do not like me, what I do, what I say then please stay away and don't torture yourself - the internet is a very big space and there is room for everyone's opinions. I'm going to get dislikes; there are trolls for every channel. All I ask is that if you have a strong opinion and hit the dislike you back this up with a comment so I can either address it and improve or simply acknowledge your view.
4: There will be no logic to the order which I publish episodes. Their titles should give you a hint as to what will be revealed

I said I would not contribute to this thread - not a sensible thought. I therefore hope that this brings a little more clarity to why I have created this channel. Thank you so much for your good advice and friendship and if you have liked and subscribed X0X0X0

3: If you really do not like me, what I do, what I say then please stay away and don't torture yourself - the internet is a very big space and there is room for everyone's opinions. I'm going to get dislikes; there are trolls for every channel. All I ask is that if you have a strong opinion and hit the dislike you back this up with a comment so I can either address it and improve or simply acknowledge your view.

YouTube's a wonderful place that simultaneously brings out the worst in people. Comments are a dangerous thing as opinionated people are rarely kind, often ill-informed and love a platform. Unfortunately, YouTube's recommendation algorithms bring in all kinds of random people. I can certainly see why some channels disable comments, but it shuts out the fan interactions too.

Good luck with the renewed endeavor.

Top Bottom