Need recommendation for music books shop in Japan

SoloRule

Reaction score
There are a lot of ukulele books arranged by some great Japanese composers / advance players. Some can be purchased from eBay at a ridiculous delivery cost that are costing more than the book itself.

I will be in Tokyo and Ochanomizu- the famous guitar street. Just wondering if any of you can give me recommendation where is the best hunting ground for music books? Will Ochanomizu be the one ?

My hotel is in Shinjuku !

Thank you !

I was there last month in Tokyo. Didn’t have the chance to go to the music street (Ochanomizu). Instead I went to a chain music shop, Yamano at Ginza. They do have about 4 shelves of uke books at the Ginza store and only 1 shelf is with the chord melody books.

Yamano Music Ginza main shop
4 Chome-5-6 Ginza, Chuo City, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan
〒104-0061 東京都中央区銀座4丁目5−6

Thank you so much
I was in Ginza few years ago. Didn’t notice any music shop. I will try again this time.

Aloha Brenda,
Did not see any music books in Ochanomizu last year, but here is a recommendation from the owner of Ukulele Mania:

We do not sell music books. We do have a sample copy

of most of the books you mentioned. If you want to have a look

at them, and try out a few songs in our shop, you are welcome.

The easiest place to get them is on the 8th or 9th floor of Junkudo Book Store,

on the East side of Ikebukuro station. (Opposite side from our shop.)

Otherwise, you could contact the teachers who wrote the books.

Hope this helps.

Dean Leoni,

Ukulele Mania, Tokyo

Aloha Brenda,
Did not see any music books in Ochanomizu last year, but here is a recommendation from the owner of Ukulele Mania:

We do not sell music books. We do have a sample copy

of most of the books you mentioned. If you want to have a look

at them, and try out a few songs in our shop, you are welcome.

The easiest place to get them is on the 8th or 9th floor of Junkudo Book Store,

on the East side of Ikebukuro station. (Opposite side from our shop.)

Otherwise, you could contact the teachers who wrote the books.

Hope this helps.

Dean Leoni,

Ukulele Mania, Tokyo

No books on music street? That’s a disappointment!
Thank you for passing the information. I will go there.

Thank you so much
I was in Ginza few years ago. Didn’t notice any music shop. I will try again this time.

You are welcome, Brenda. :)
The yamano music is a flag ship shop as it is building by itself. Currently some floors (likely the ukes and guitars floors) are under renovation cos I didn’t see any ukulele at all.

As for the finger style books, they are all in Japanese except some minimal english for the song titles. So I bought just one (a collection of Ghibli anime themes in finger style) book after browsing through 30+ books, making very wild guesses about the songs.

I Guess you could also try the Kinokuniya flag ship book store near Shinjuku station. It’s next to Isetan.

Top Bottom