The ukulele is not a surreal instrument

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have just had a huge argument over whether a ukulele is a surreal instrument or not with a coworker.

He's all "blah, blah, blah... the ukulele doesn't posses the necessary inherent dreamlike symbolism to be effectively used in any sort of thought-provoking juxtaposition... yadda-yadda..."

He then went on to say that Dalí and Magritte never include a melting or floating ukulele in any of their paintings, and that if Edgard Varèse ever tried to play one, he'd have gotten laughed right out of the Schola Cantorum.

I pointed out that Tiny Tim was basically a Luis Buñuel film come to life, but he just said that that was "one in a million."

:mad: :wallbash:

What do you guys think?

JJ

rotflmfao
:smileybounce:

I'm pretty sure it's a cereal instrument. Mine sounds great when I'm eating Cheerios.

Didn't Dali and Bunel - two towering surrealists - produce the surrealist film, Un Chien Andaluke?

I don't recall Dali ever painted melted saxophones or melted Glockenspieles, either.

But wait. Let's draw back and define surrealism. Wikipedia notes:
Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur; however, many Surrealist artists and writers regard their work as an expression of the philosophical movement first and foremost, with the works being an artifact. Leader André Breton was explicit in his assertion that Surrealism was above all a revolutionary movement.
Surprise, unexpected justapositions, non sequitur... sounds like whimsy to me. And ukuleles are surely whimsical, or at the very least promote a state of whimsiness.

A revolutionary movement? And what else is it when ukulele owners storm the gates of their local music store demaning it stock models, strings and straps for our instruments? Or loudly demand Dave G produce a tenor model of his renowned banjo ukulele? That's a revolution!
Surrealism developed out of the Dada activities of World War I...
Ukuleles developed out of the MDHF* movement around the same time. Surely that is as surreal as a movement based on a child's name for its father!

Andre Breton, founder of the movement, wrote in his Surrealist Manifesto that surrealism is...
Pure psychic automatism, by which one proposes to express, either verbally, in writing, or by any other manner, the real functioning of thought. Dictation of thought in the absence of all control exercised by reason, outside of all aesthetic and moral preoccupation... based on the belief in the superior reality of certain forms of previously neglected associations, in the omnipotence of dream, in the disinterested play of thought. It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.
Aside from the rather significant babble (and Babel!) factor in Breton's screed, I put forward that UAS is the surreal manifestation of ukulele realism, since it prompts purchasing ukuleles "in the absence of all control exercised by reason, outside of all aesthetic and moral preoccupation."

And certainly many conversations on this forum meander "in the disinterested play of thought."

"It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life." Well, doesn't the ukulele ruin you for other instruments? How many of us now have guitars and other instruments gathering dust since we took up the uke?

Hmmph.
~~~~~
* My Dog Has Fleas.

I think the ukulele is full of surreal possibilities! Maggritte would appreciate that it "is not a guitar". Also great symbolism since it is not the mainstream guitar... but something else... smaller but with it's own special qualities. I think those guys just didn't know about ukes, that's all.

–Lori

picasso.png

Count the strings, baby!

I'm still working on John Cage's 4'33" on my uke, but I keep messing up when I get to the second movement.

I have just had a huge argument over whether a ukulele is a surreal instrument or not with a coworker.

He's all "blah, blah, blah... the ukulele doesn't posses the necessary inherent dreamlike symbolism to be effectively used in any sort of thought-provoking juxtaposition... yadda-yadda..."

What do you guys think?

JJ

That you had an argument over that is pretty surreal in itself. I wish my co-workers posssed the awareness to argue over something as esoterical. I get to hear the lastest what Rush said on the radio.......WGAF!!

I'm still working on John Cage's 4'33" on my uke, but I keep messing up when I get to the second movement.

:biglaugh: !!!

"...the score instructs the performer not to play the instrument during the entire duration of the piece throughout the three movements..."

Me, I'm still working on a ukulele version of Pierre Henri's Variations for a Door and a Sigh... after which I might takle something by Steve Reich, maybe Come Out...​

I think

Oh! Shiny Object!

2423213695_b1dfbbe308.jpg

He then went on to say that Dalí and Magritte never include a melting or floating ukulele in any of their paintings, and that if Edgard Varèse ever tried to play one, he'd have gotten laughed right out of the Schola Cantorum.

I pointed out that Tiny Tim was basically a Luis Buñuel film come to life, but he just said that that was "one in a million."

What do you guys think?

JJ

They always say "there one in a million". :wtf:

to say something as ordinary, but also complex, as a musical instrument CANNOT cannot be used in some thought provoking way or juxtaposition is COCKY AS HELL. but seriously. if surrealism is all about the subconscious mind and Freud and dreams and all that, can you really exclude much from that? really?

as even if it does come off as comical instead of deep or something, whose to say that can't provide meaning? if we cant handle some humor in our artwork then what are we doing? art is all about controversy, growth, exploration and finding a greater truth.

i dont know what kind of dreamlike symbolism your coworkers thinking up but he's on some wrong stuff.

rofl.jpg

doh.

this was one out of a few statements I could understand in this thread^^

Ok, I got the point, but to understand it completely I would have to find a very very very good dictionary...

Top Bottom