Thread: Stringing a through-bridge with a wound low G

Question Stringing a through-bridge with a wound low G

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle a wound low G string on my tenor with a through bridge. Is it possible to tie a decent knot, and if so, any tips?

I thought I'd use two beads, one to support the knot and one to protect the wood but I'm worried about the knot slipping because it's not tight enough, or about needing to leave a large amount of spare which then sits against the soundboard and kills the sustain or buzz.

My string are arriving later so I'm going to have a go this evening, but as I say, any tips will be appreciated!
    Last edited by ionian; 01-03-2020 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Speelnihg

Maybe tie a knot around the bead, so the knot could not slip through the bead. Also, cut the excess string short near the bead, so it can't contact the top and produce buzzing. I've done this with good results.
    John

I always use a drop of super glue (CA) on the knot of wound strings with string through bridges. It helps prevent any unraveling issues.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

I use a D'Addario silver wound .029" as a low G on my Kala and Romero Creations string-through-bridge tenors and a single knot holds just fine. The thinner strings—1st string A—need a bead so they won't jam in the hole but a simple low G knot is massive. Just be sure to make the knot is tight and it will never unravel once up to pitch.

Thanks everyone - good advice. Just in case anyone looks for this in the future, I also found this video which shows a clean way to tie the knot:

https://youtu.be/9ee2JDXnHZY

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I tie the knot around the bead and use a dab of super glue on mine.

Thread Information