Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck Fitting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by Rbee View Post
    Hi,
    Seem's to be a very useful tool. Is it possible to see a video of how it works? i'dont arrive to understand and i had some troubles with this step...
    Thanks a lot,
    RaphaŽl
    No video, but I have some pictures of the process. Here are the steps I followed.
    1. Draw centerline on neck and body
    2. Position body in jig, align the centers. Move the jig's tail stop into position and secure it in place. Secure body very tightly to jig with large rubber bands. Body must not shift in the jig while sanding.
    3. Position neck in jig, center aligned, with heel just touching the body. Engage the neck hold down clamps. Move neck fence into position and secure it in place.
    4. Double check that the body and neck are perfectly center-aligned while holding the neck against the neck fence. Disengage the neck hold down clamps.
    5. Insert a strip of sandpaper between neck and body, abrasive side facing neck. Use one hand to push neck against the fence and body, then use the other hand to pull the sandpaper strip out of the gap. Clean abrasive residue after each stroke. Check neck-body-jig alignment frequently. Continue sanding, one stroke at a time, until neck fits with no gaps.

Everything aligned, ready to start sanding:

My ukuleles:
    Locals concert, Fluke concert, Gretsch G9126 guitulele, Kala KA-SSTU soprano, Kala UBass EM-FS
    Build #1 Cheap plywood soprano kit
    Build #2 Stewmac soprano
    Build #3 Stewmac baritone
    Build #4 Stewmac solid koa tenor (in progress)
    Build #5 Stewmac concert (in progress)

Sand until all marks are gone

Nice tight fit now

My ukuleles:
    Locals concert, Fluke concert, Gretsch G9126 guitulele, Kala KA-SSTU soprano, Kala UBass EM-FS
    Build #2 Stewmac soprano

I made some mistakes.

This biggest mistake was using the wide strip of sandpaper, as shown in my previous posts. I think it's much better to use a strip narrower than the width of the neck, so you can easily avoid sanding the corners.

Here is a picture I took showing the problem caused by using a too-wide sandpaper strip. Notice the corners of the neck were sanded too much, almost beveled away from the body.

Because of this mistake, I had to take off an additional ~0.5mm from the neck to close that small wedge-shaped gap.

My ukuleles:
    Build #2 Stewmac soprano

Great pics.

I agree with using a strip narrower than the neck. Also- I don't insert my sandpaper much past the heel. If you do the heel can get sanded down too much.

Very good work ...but it would have been easier to floss if you had removed a section of material/relief first from the centre of the heel leaving a couple of mm round the edges to sand.....something like this. http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/wp...1/IMG_2103.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-02-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Thanks a lot!!! i understand and it will be very useful!
    thanks for pics and the idea

Great thanks!
    Work really nice and easy to use
    Last edited by Rbee; 02-27-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information