Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which beginner Uke? Kala vs Luna

Default Which beginner Uke? Kala vs Luna

Hi. I’d appreciate opinions on which ukulele to buy. I’m a total beginner and have narrowed my search to two at my local Guitar Center - the Luna Vintage Mahogany Soprano and the Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano. I understand at this price point this is only entry level, but I am only going to record at home with it (no live performances) so I’m really interested in the best sounding and most durable instrument of the two. Does anyone have any experience with either to help me compare? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I am not familiar with either brand as I'm very new to ukuleles. Thanks.

There is a clear path here: You need to go in and try both of them and decide which you like better. No one's opinion on this forum will be as valuable as actually trying them so that you can hear the sound and feel how it plays.

I agree you should try both. From experience and impartial reviews, Kala has a reputation for making higher-quality instruments, but I know several people with Lunas who really like them. I have a Makala concert (Kala's entry-level brand) I bought used and I really like it, FWIW.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

My first real uke was a Kala and I was very happy with it. jimuke.jpg

My first ukulele was a lower model Kala and I loved it. I've heard some negative reviews on Lunas in the past, but maybe they've improved. As was mentioned, give them both a try and see what you think.
    Glenn

Thanks so much everyone. My local Guitar Center doesn't have them in stock unfortunately - they have to be shipped. But your advice has been very helpful. I was leaning towards the Kala and still am. Thank you all.

I have a Kala and a Luna. They are very similar in quality. My Luna was bought with a setup, and plays like a dream. The Kala was shipped right from the manufacturer, and was set up surprisingly well from the factory. I say go with the one the strikes your fancy, which seems to be the Kala.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Zither Heaven, First Act

If I didn't have a chance to play them I'd go with Kala.

Setup, setup, SETUP! Either one will be a great starter uke and you should find a way to play them both. But most importantly, get some assurance that the price includes a setup. You want to make sure it's 'buzz free' and otherwise free of defects or anything that would reduce your enjoyment of playing. You didn't indicate in your profile where you live, but if your near any city of a reasonable size, check out the local music stores. Regardless of whether they are a chain or a single private shop, you should get plenty of opportunity to try them out.

If your more of a (minor) risk taker, check out the ukes at Mims. She has very reasonable priced instruments AND does a full setup regardless of price. She also offeres B-Stock ukes at an extra discount. FWIW, I've purchased two Ohana uke from her and with her setup they play like the ukes at twice the price.

Congrats on your decision to join the "flock" :-)

Here's a link to her current ( 01/04/2020 ) B-Stock... do a sort on price, low to high. The photo's she offers are the actual instrument you'd receive.

https://www.mimsukes.com/?condition=...rt=price%7Casc
    Last edited by Web_Parrot; 01-04-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    ::: Romero Creations Replica Tenor ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: Ohana Soprano SK-75 ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C ::: Ohana SK-50G ::: Enya Nova U Concert ::: Kala KA-ABP-CTG Bari :::

Quote Originally Posted by Web_Parrot View Post
    If your more of a (minor) risk taker, check out the ukes at Mims. She has very reasonable priced instruments AND does a full setup regardless of price. She also offeres B-Stock ukes at an extra discount. FWIW, I've purchased two Ohana uke from her and with her setup they play like the ukes at twice the price.
    There is a lot to be said for supporting your local economy, but if you're having something shipped anyway, then this is a no-brainer. Get it from Mim. There is no risk. It *will* be well setup and ready to go out of the box.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA