Season 412 - The 27 Club

Great theme and some fantastic entries already Ryan. This is one of, if not my favorite compositions by Morrison and song by the Doors. I always loved the open ended imagery of the lyrics. Thanks for hosting this week ~

this, a song by The Mountain Goats
from The Hound Chronicles LP (1992)

Hello again, Ryan! From 1992 and covered by "Manic Street Preachers", one of whose members "disappeared" at 27; so, it qualifies on two counts .... There is an interesting back story to this song. Robert Altman, the director of the original "M*A*S*H" film, was unable to think of suitably idiotic lyrics, intended to play in the background of a fake suicide scene, so he delegated the job to his 14 year old son, who apparently came up with the words in five minutes. As a result, Mike Altman ended up making more money from the film than his father, who directed it! And, of course, it went on to become the theme of the ever-popular TV series. The photos in the video are of daredevil silent film action heroines of the 1910s, whose stunts were, indeed, positively suicidal. (And I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have done this as my voice is going and I now have an incredibly sore throat!)

Last edited:
SOTU 412: TONIGHT - by David Bowie and Iggy Pop

Bringing you some Bowie for your B'Day, Ryan:

Love Her Madly by the Doors. Just learned this one a couple of hours ago, so it might be a little rough, with a reggae spin.

WOW. You guys have been busy today, and what a day it was. Massive helpings of Robert Johnson and David Bowie, you cant go wrong, plus a whole bunch that were completely new to me.

My only regret is that, as standard, after weeks of dormancy my life has gone haywire just as I'm due to host so I haven't been able to be as proactive as I'd like, or join I'm for that matter. Keep em coming though guys!

And yet more Bowie - as far as I know this one was never more than an album track, but still one of my faves. I tripled up on the vocal as the original had what sounds like a small crowd singing the lead. A belated Happy Birthday Ryan! :)

Hi Ryan et al,

Happy New Year. I hope everyone got well through the holidays and into the new year - with all ukulele playing fingers intact. Playing the ukulele is reason enough for me to no loger be playing with fireworks on New Years eve LOL.

Here is my version of Amy Winehouse's 'Tears Dry On Their Own'. I have never seen Amy Winehouse in concert unfortunately but I once met her at a London Blues Jam Session in a tiny club with space for maybe 35 people. This was before she made Back to Black. I was supposed to go on stage and sing my three songs but was told by the band to wait because this famous girl Amy had arrived and wanted to sing a few songs. So she did and I went on stage afterwards. Never again have I had such famous warm up ;). I was with a very good friend at the club. We used to hang out and go to concerts and ride our motorbikes around London all the time... He has since passed away and so has Amy. I still get sad hearing her songs and doing this cover made me think about that evening and my long gone friend.

I hope you like it. I am playing my Christmas present which is a Kala Journeyman U-Bass as well as the Pono TE Electric tenor. Not 100% sure about any of these yet. I need to play around with them some more.

PS. I have heard some demos of this song where the melody was different and more jazzy but I am playing the album version which is based on the 'Ain't No Mountain High' riff...

Last edited:
I think I have fixed it now. A weird random error. Thanks for pointing it out Val.

Ok, I've done a song by a 27 club member and a Bowie tune. That means it's time to go back to 1992! Here's a bit of Radiohead!

It's been a while Ryan. Here's a Janis Joplin song for you.

this, a Lemonheads song
from the It's A Shame About Ray LP (1992)

Great set of songs yesterday, very pleased in particular to see Amy Winehouse get some love and to see Linda back! I'm hoping to join the party myself tonight, would love to have a few more songs to catch up on first though!

It's one Bob after another :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Top Bottom