Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 412 - The 27 Club

Default Season 412 - The 27 Club

Evening all! I've just got back from a meal to celebrate my 28th birthday, which was yesterday, and that is what has given me the idea for this theme.

This week we'll be commemorating members of the infamous 27 Club, a list of famous artists who died, often in tragic circumstances, at the age of 27. The core of this list all passed within a couple years of each other in the late 60s/early 70s, those being Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, and were later notably joined by Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of this ever since I first got into Nirvana and finding out about Kurt Cobain's story, so obviously the last 12 months have been a but surreal for me, especially given my mental state during those 12 months.

So to explore this theme I'm going to give people a few options.

1) First and most obviously, play me a song by a member of the club. Wikipedia has provided an extensive list of performers across the arts who died at the age of 27, well beyond the Big 6 mentioned.

2) Whilst we're on the subject of fallen musical giants, and because it's my birthday, bring me some David Bowie. By the end of the week it'll have been 4 years since we lost him which is crazy.

3) I can't forget the songwriters. Write me a song referencing any or all of the members. Or maybe a song about something ending too soon. Or, if one of the names was a particular hero of yours, write a song that might sound like what you'd imagine they'd be playing now if they were still around.

4) Bring me a song from 1992, just cause.

Normal rules apply. Start time is midnight Sunday Hawaiian time. Remember it's a uke forum, and if you think it fits, it does. And dont forget we've still got about 36 hours left of Rick's fabulous retrospective.

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by RAB11; 01-05-2020 at 06:13 AM.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

Last I knew, in the U.S. you would get a copyright strike against you on YouTube for playing a song written by Hendrix. His estate (or whoever owns the rights) wasn't allowing YouTube covers.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Quote Originally Posted by uke4ia View Post
    Last I knew, in the U.S. you would get a copyright strike against you on YouTube for playing a song written by Hendrix. His estate (or whoever owns the rights) wasn't allowing YouTube covers.
    i remember this being mentioned a little while back - i couldn't figure out why i hadn't had any problems with hendrix covers i had done, but your mention here of the ban being applicable in the states makes sense of that now - i dunno what the state of play is worldwide, but i haven't had a problem (thus far) in the UK
    lynda

acid skiffle

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    i remember this being mentioned a little while back - i couldn't figure out why i hadn't had any problems with hendrix covers i had done, but your mention here of the ban being applicable in the states makes sense of that now - i dunno what the state of play is worldwide, but i haven't had a problem (thus far) in the UK
    Some of the songs Hendrix made famous were covers of other artists like Bob Dylan etc. Even Hey Joe, was a cover of a traditional blues song I believe.

Nirvana, Kurt Cobain's cover of the Vaseline's song. Tenor and some iPad organ.
    Thanks for hosting Ryan.

Robert Johnson toon
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Robert Johnson is in the club apparently

Don't ask why .
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40, Richwood
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.

Brian Jones …

Come on. Take it!

Thread Information