Season 412 - The 27 Club

RAB11

Reaction score
Graffiti_Tel_Aviv%2C_Khayim_Ben_Atar_St_-_zoom.jpg

Evening all! I've just got back from a meal to celebrate my 28th birthday, which was yesterday, and that is what has given me the idea for this theme.

This week we'll be commemorating members of the infamous 27 Club, a list of famous artists who died, often in tragic circumstances, at the age of 27. The core of this list all passed within a couple years of each other in the late 60s/early 70s, those being Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, and were later notably joined by Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse.

I've always been fascinated by the idea of this ever since I first got into Nirvana and finding out about Kurt Cobain's story, so obviously the last 12 months have been a but surreal for me, especially given my mental state during those 12 months.

So to explore this theme I'm going to give people a few options.

1) First and most obviously, play me a song by a member of the club. Wikipedia has provided an extensive list of performers across the arts who died at the age of 27, well beyond the Big 6 mentioned.

2) Whilst we're on the subject of fallen musical giants, and because it's my birthday, bring me some David Bowie. By the end of the week it'll have been 4 years since we lost him which is crazy.

3) I can't forget the songwriters. Write me a song referencing any or all of the members. Or maybe a song about something ending too soon. Or, if one of the names was a particular hero of yours, write a song that might sound like what you'd imagine they'd be playing now if they were still around.

4) Bring me a song from 1992, just cause.

Normal rules apply. Start time is midnight Sunday Hawaiian time. Remember it's a uke forum, and if you think it fits, it does. And dont forget we've still got about 36 hours left of Rick's fabulous retrospective.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Last I knew, in the U.S. you would get a copyright strike against you on YouTube for playing a song written by Hendrix. His estate (or whoever owns the rights) wasn't allowing YouTube covers.

Last I knew, in the U.S. you would get a copyright strike against you on YouTube for playing a song written by Hendrix. His estate (or whoever owns the rights) wasn't allowing YouTube covers.

i remember this being mentioned a little while back - i couldn't figure out why i hadn't had any problems with hendrix covers i had done, but your mention here of the ban being applicable in the states makes sense of that now - i dunno what the state of play is worldwide, but i haven't had a problem (thus far) in the UK

i remember this being mentioned a little while back - i couldn't figure out why i hadn't had any problems with hendrix covers i had done, but your mention here of the ban being applicable in the states makes sense of that now - i dunno what the state of play is worldwide, but i haven't had a problem (thus far) in the UK

Some of the songs Hendrix made famous were covers of other artists like Bob Dylan etc. Even Hey Joe, was a cover of a traditional blues song I believe.

Nirvana, Kurt Cobain's cover of the Vaseline's song. Tenor and some iPad organ.
Thanks for hosting Ryan.

Right, well the playlist is up and will be added to the OP presently, haven't had a chance to listen yet but by the looks of things we are off to a flyer.

Another Robert Johnson song!

Wowee. Just had a listen and I think this has to be the strongest start to a season I've hosted by a long way. You guys are smashing it already.

Happy New Year everyone, a song written by Bowie that he gave to Mott The Hoople to kick start their faltering career. It worked big time as it soared into the top 3 of the UK singles chart back in the summer of 1972.

Here's an original I wrote last night about a member of the 27 Club.

thank you for this week Ryan
this, a Robert Johnson song
me - concert ukulele, voice
kev - electric tenor ukulele

Top Bottom