Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 412 - The 27 Club

Great theme and some fantastic entries already Ryan. This is one of, if not my favorite compositions by Morrison and song by the Doors. I always loved the open ended imagery of the lyrics. Thanks for hosting this week ~

this, a Robert Johnson song

This is a 1992 song by the Texas Tornados from their album Hangin' On By a Thread. Unlike most of their songs, this is a very sweet love ballad.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

this, a song by The Mountain Goats
    from The Hound Chronicles LP (1992)

Hello again, Ryan! From 1992 and covered by "Manic Street Preachers", one of whose members "disappeared" at 27; so, it qualifies on two counts .... There is an interesting back story to this song. Robert Altman, the director of the original "M*A*S*H" film, was unable to think of suitably idiotic lyrics, intended to play in the background of a fake suicide scene, so he delegated the job to his 14 year old son, who apparently came up with the words in five minutes. As a result, Mike Altman ended up making more money from the film than his father, who directed it! And, of course, it went on to become the theme of the ever-popular TV series. The photos in the video are of daredevil silent film action heroines of the 1910s, whose stunts were, indeed, positively suicidal. (And I'm sorry, I really shouldn't have done this as my voice is going and I now have an incredibly sore throat!)

Last edited by LimousinLil; 01-08-2020 at 05:26 AM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Default SOTU 412: TONIGHT - by David Bowie and Iggy Pop

Bringing you some Bowie for your B'Day, Ryan:

Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks . . .
    =======================================
    ddanner SOTU VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...wjRMd7fqE9vEv2
    ddanner ORIGINAL SONGS: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...h4b1ScxqSX_UGP

Love Her Madly by the Doors. Just learned this one a couple of hours ago, so it might be a little rough, with a reggae spin.

John

WOW. You guys have been busy today, and what a day it was. Massive helpings of Robert Johnson and David Bowie, you cant go wrong, plus a whole bunch that were completely new to me.

My only regret is that, as standard, after weeks of dormancy my life has gone haywire just as I'm due to host so I haven't been able to be as proactive as I'd like, or join I'm for that matter. Keep em coming though guys!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

And yet more Bowie - as far as I know this one was never more than an album track, but still one of my faves. I tripled up on the vocal as the original had what sounds like a small crowd singing the lead. A belated Happy Birthday Ryan!

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

*removed*

kept for spacing purposes
    Last edited by Joko; 01-10-2020 at 02:57 AM.
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Thread Information