Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Season 412 - The 27 Club

This is a song I only ever knew from the Nirvana MTV Unplugged album, but I’ve been enjoying listening to a bunch of different versions.

Just getting this one under the wire. I’m invoking the Thornton rule here really, as this is not a song by a) any member of the 27 Club, b) not a song by Bowie and c) not an original that mentions anyone from the 27 Club. Well, it is an original that mentions someone from the 27 Club, but not mine . It’s You We’re Right by Damon Gough, otherwise known as Badly Drawn Boy. This mentions Kurt Cobain, and contains the, to me anyway, beautifully poignant line, “They lost the tickets to what they need”. Badly Drawn Boy has had his own struggles with mental health over the years. We were lucky enough to see him a week or so before Christmas in Halifax. Wonderful gig. Just him, a couple of his guitars and his keyboard....and lots of great songs.

Well after a late flourish I hereby declare Season 412 closed.

Fantastic week of quality over quantity. We had 65 songs of you include mine, lots of Bowie and lots of Robert Johnson. Without officially statting it up I'd say The Doors and Janis Joplin were pretty much neck and neck after that, and then we had some fantastic 27 Club backbenchers and some originals too.

Been an absolute blast all round, looking forward to seeing what you all bring in Mads' season too.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

Thanks heaps for hosting Ryan.
    I will say that these days 65 songs is a good number too - so quality and quantity really,

Thanks for a great week, Ryan! (And, yes, you really are INCREDIBLY young!)
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Thank you, Ryan! This season (as others) offered lots of stimulating discoveries, which I never would have found by myself. E.g. I had no idea/memory about Robert Johnson, although I read about the "club 27" since ever and several times.

Thanks Ryan!
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

Thread Information