Season 412 - The 27 Club

Hello, Ryan! I had never heard of the "27 Club" ... at 27 I was giving birth to our first son and, I suppose, "grown up" life for me was just beginning. It's very sad to think of all those talented artists whose promise was wiped out at such an early age ... even if their demise was self-induced. I found Malcolm Hale on the Wikipedia list which you helpfully provided. He was the lead guitarist of "Spanky And Our Gang" and his death at the age of 27 was actually accidental (carbon monoxide poisoning). This song comes from the Band's eponymously named 1967 album.

Day two has been nothing short of a triumph. There is a very pleasing amount of Robert Johnson coming through, and some cracking originals, among other delights.

homemade song for the season, in which i state the blinkin' obvious, repetitively, at some length, and over one-and-a-half chords...........................

(no change there, then)

Most of the time, when we're writing a song, we're telling a story. Stories are often made up. All that stuff in my last song about sitting on my bed in shock, and how I'll always remember where I was (I vaguely do), and how Kurt was my hero and I was devastated... all played up, exagerrated in order to increase the emotional impact of the song. Was I hurt by his death? Yes, I was a big fan, having followed Nirvana back in the late 80's. This 6 minute song tells the true story of what I knew of the man, plus asks some questions about the other Clubbers.

For Season 412 of the Ukulele, we're playing music by members of the so-called "27 Club". One of the more obscure members of the club is Dennes Boon, better known as D. Boon, of the Minutemen, one of the great punk guitarists (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/remembering-d-boon-and-the-minutemen-188064/), who died in 1985 when the band's van crashed while on tour. Here's "Fascist" from their first EP, played on concert ukulele, with overdubs of Ubass (with apologies to Mike Watt) and singing.

Great theme Ryan, and belated happy 28th birthday. Is it really 4 years since Bowie died? :(. This is from Aladdin Sane, from 1973(?), and it’s just chock full of fantastic songs, not one duff track if you ask me. I picked this one, because, well, just because.....

On the road again by Canned Heat feat Al "Blind Owl" Wilson.
Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson was the founding member of Canned Heat and modeled his
singing style on Skip James. Wilson's death came just two weeks before the death
of Jimi Hendrix and four weeks before the death of Janis Joplin, two artists who
also died at the same age. Along with his talent and intellect, Wilson had a reputation
for social awkwardness and introversion which may have been a symptom of his depression.

I saw this in the top 100 UK chart for 1992. Only after I recorded it did I find that it was actually released in '91, but it must have stuck around for a month or two after that...
Anyway, one of my 2019 highlights was standing about 10 feet in front of Albert Hammond, master songwriter, now 75 and still in good voice, as he rattled through his back catalogue - hit after hit after hit. I think he followed this one, written for Diana Ross, with "One Moment In Time" (Whitney) and "The Air That I Breathe" (Hollies), and then commented that people think he is just a 75 year old covers singer.

And another Doors song, this is called Light my fire. Funny thing is it got a copyright claim (these are no issue) the moment it was uploaded.

Tune by bluesman Robert Johnson. He died in 1938 at the age of 27. The legend most closely associated with his life is that he sold his soul to the devil at a local crossroads to achieve musical success.

And here is Crossroad Blues. I'm surprised it's not appeared before now given the number of Robert Johnson songs there have been so far this week.

Robert Johnson --- Me and The Devil Blues.

Top Bottom