Season 412 - The 27 Club

Right, here's my go. Bit of Bowie and a double whammy because Kurt covered it once too.

I love playing Bowie songs because most of them somehow fit perfectly on the uke and you pick up cool little tricks as you learn to play them. I remember just accidentally figuring out the riff to this out whilst noodling one day.

Days (2003) by David Bowie from album "Reality". With some random effects to conceal the chords I can't play.

This is from Dylan's 1992 album.Good as I been to you. An album of covers of traditional folk songs.

I've had a lousy cold all week after returning from the UK, so I haven't been very active until today.

But I managed to find enough energy to write and record this little tribute to the Top Three in the 27 Club (Jimi, Janis & Jim) via my macabre take on "Hey Joe"

Enjoy!

Hello all, and Happy New Year (somewhat belated). And Happy Birthday week to you Ryan, I hope you have been enjoying it (and thanks for hosting).

Ron McKernan (aka Pigpen) was in a couple of different groups with Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia before they added a few members and became the Grateful Dead. He drank himself to death (gastrointestinal hemorrhage) in 1973, aged 27.

Thanks for hosting Ryan.

says it's private for me Berni.....

Thanks Brian. That must have been the fault of the new YouTube Upload system. It is way more complicated than it needs to be. I wondered why it was still marked as unseen 5 hours after I posted it!

Glad to see Ron McKernan make an appearance! He is often dismissed, but was an important musical element of the early Dead.

But the elephant in the room is Jimi Hendrix. We can't leave him out. I was only going to do one video for this season but if no one posts a Hendrix video by noon Hawaii time I will do one.

Jim left a warning about copyright but I'm willing to take the risk if there's none there once I wake up tomorrow

Glad to see Ron McKernan make an appearance! He is often dismissed, but was an important musical element of the early Dead.

But the elephant in the room is Jimi Hendrix. We can't leave him out. I was only going to do one video for this season but if no one posts a Hendrix video by noon Hawaii time I will do one.

Likewise with the Minutemen contribution Brian. Excellent take on Fascist earlier this week.

Chris Bell of Big Star is, sadly, another member of the 27 club. He died in 1978. This beautiful song comes his solo album, I Am the Cosmos, released posthumously in 1992.

This is a song Bowie wrote with Giorgio Moroder for the movie "Cat People". I did this on tiple for a fire theme Season years ago, I think Mattydee was the host. This time I played it on a Kiwaya K-Wave concert uke using the Mel9 pedal, and then feeding that through distortion and chorus effects.

When I'm near Eisley's pen, I'm often singing songs with alternate rabbit-themed lyrics. This week, it was "You're face to face with the bun who sold the world." Molly asked what he got for it. I said, "Well, there was a lot of depreciation." She responded, "That was a way more depressing answer than I was expecting." I said, "You know, it starts losing value the moment you drive it off the lot."

There's a star-bun
Making lots of poo
He ate a lot of kibble
Now he has to see it through
There's an Eisley
Sitting in his pen
He'd like to hump a balloon
If you'd watch him now and then

Right! I'm awake and caught up.

If you guys haven't seen Ceejay's various masterclasses on blues shredding this week, do yourself a favour and go watch them.

Anyway... you were warned. Jimi uploading as we speak.

Purple Haze! Purple Haze! Get it while stocks last!

(Featuring not one but two cameos from Mini-RABB the younger)

Last edited:
New year. New fun. The season I recently missed the most was the season about missed seasons :rolleyes:

Last edited:
this, a Lemonheads song
from the It's A Shame About Ray LP (1992)
thanks for a really fun week of music Ryan

Top Bottom