Fate wants me to play only Uke

PTOEguy

Reaction score
Last September I decided to take the plunge and expand my 4 string horizons with a tenor guitar - Fender was touting their new telecaster tenor model. It looked great and the price was pretty good for a made in mexico Fender. So I ordered one. They were supposed to be out in June, but they said it would be shipped mid-October. In mid-October they moved the date to mid-November. In mid-November they said mid-December. In mid-December the delivery date slipped to mid-January.

I still wanted to play tenor something so I did my research and decided that a Gold Tone AC-4 tenor banjo would be just the thing to complement a tenor guitar and my taste in ukulele music (1920's style playing). So I ordered one. They said it would take a couple of weeks. Then they said they were back-ordered and would be 45 days out. In November after 45 days I contacted the dealer and they told me to stop calling that they would call when it came in - no idea when.

In the mean time, I've been looking at the other purveyor of electric tenor guitars, Eastwood. If you get on their mailing list they do a lot of sales. And just before Christmas, they hit my combination - 33% off a semi-hollow body electric tenor guitar. So I contacted them and they said they could get it to my parents house in eastern Washington just after Christmas. So I ordered it, figuring I could play it over the new year holiday and they have a generous return policy so I could either keep it and cancel my Fender order, or return it, or keep both. But as soon as the UPS tracking number came up, it was apparent that it would not get to eastern Washington while I was there. So I emailed Eastwood and they were great about contacting UPS and changing it to ship to my home in Utah.

Except UPS is not great. They registered the address change (I could see it in the tracking software) but then shipped it to eastern Washington anyway. My father was asked to sign for it after showing the delivery person the updated address they agreed that he would not take delivery and the guitar would be shipped to me in Utah. Except UPS marked it as delivery refused and sent it back to Eastwood. They will send it on to me once it gets back to Illinois.

However, at this point, I'm wondering if the universe is trying to tell me something. Should I give up on the whole tenor guitar/banjo thing and just play ukulele?

I could take the money I've got tied up in non-delivered guitars and banjos and get a really nice ukulele. I've always been interested in the Blackbird Farallon, but there are definitely other nice ukes out there.

Any thoughts?

I could take the money I've got tied up in non-delivered guitars and banjos and get a really nice ukulele. I've always been interested in the Blackbird Farallon, but there are definitely other nice ukes out there.

Any thoughts?

Sometimes, it's difficult to spend money. : (

Any thoughts?

My only real thoughts are that UPS is a horrible company. They literally have one job, move box from place a to place b, and they fail at it every bloody time. Maybe they have a ploy to get you to buy only ukes, who knows...

I don't know if the universe is telling you to just focus on ukulele, but I do know that it seems difficult to order pretty much anything anymore and have it arrive in a timely fashion.

I ordered something last September for a Christmas gift, which was supposedly in stock at the time, and it finally arrived Dec. 24. Of course, by then, I had to make alternate plans for the gift, since I had no idea if the original item would ever arrive.

I took part in 2 Go-Fund-Mes. Both were terrible at doing any updates on progress. One finally arrived 2 1/2 years after the original ship date, (with almost no updates over that period of time. I figured I was just out the money.) The other was due last August, and they finally issued an update that they now expect to ship this coming April. What particularly makes me sad about this one is that I'm guessing that means it will be the last CD this person records, and I've been a big fan for many years. But, even the backers who are big fans were getting cranky about the lack of updates, so I suspect it will be hard to raise the money for another one at any point.

I guess that universe is telling us to be happy with what we have, and be patient if we're hoping to purchase anything else.

Enjoy your ukes, and whatever other instruments might finally make it to you.

Cancel your orders. They have not filled them in a timely manner. Buy yourself a nice acoustic-electric uke. Have it shipped FedEx. :p

This might be a tough decision sounds like. If you don't ever get the tenor you might always wonder about it. Maybe you'd get it and be glad you endured all of the hassle of getting it to you. Maybe you won't. If they have a good return policy it's not as big of a deal. Of course you might be out shipping cost, but maybe the price of trying is worth it.

It’s not in my signature but I do have a Godin Multiuke, which is a lot of fun to play.

Great uke, I have a sunburst one. I've been waiting for a bass uke for about 5 months, the web site says delivery in 6-8 weeks, NOT! On the other hand, I ordered stickon fret markers from Spain and had them in about a week.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

However, at this point, I'm wondering if the universe is trying to tell me something. Should I give up on the whole tenor guitar/banjo thing and just play ukulele?

Any thoughts?

It's a shame to give up on your desire to play a tenor instrument. Is there a musical instrument shop near you that carries any, or could order one for you? That would be more reliable than dealing with UPS etc. on your own.

It's a shame to give up on your desire to play a tenor instrument. Is there a musical instrument shop near you that carries any, or could order one for you? That would be more reliable than dealing with UPS etc. on your own.

There are a couple of shops that occasionally have acoustic tenor guitars. I was more interested in the electrics or the banjos. Their is a shop in town with a bunch of old tenor banjos, but nothing in the $200 range

Top Bottom