Thread: Vintage Kamaka 8 string sounds "tinny"

Default Vintage Kamaka 8 string sounds "tinny"

This is my second vintage Kamaka 8 string. I loved the sound of my first one but sold it when medical issues forced me to stop playing. After the Cleveland Clinic brought me back to the land of pickers and strummers, I bought another white label 8 string. I put Worth clears on it and have pretty much ignored it.
    Someone requested a song that I used to play on the 8 so I got this out of its case. It just sounds "tinny" to me. It's got a very bright sound but there's just something about the sound quality that makes my neck hairs stand up.
    I wonder if some of those old black Kamaka strings would make this better?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I wonder if some of those old black Kamaka strings would make this better?
    Yes. Or some Fremont Blacklines. Or Worth Browns. Or... Sometimes it takes a while to find the right strings for the instrument. But when you do, it makes the journey all worthwhile.

I'm glad the Cleveland Clinic got you back to pickin' and strummin'. Hope you are doing well.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I have a Kamaka white label six-string and have the Aquila set with red low A on it. I find that it provides a pretty mighty thundering sound like uke on steroids. The Kanile'a 8-string I played at the factory also had a huge sound with Aquilas, but they use special GHS wound string ... their set would be my first choice for an 8.

Welcome back to pickin and strummin!
    My wife's vintage 8 string Kamaka sounds great with Worth clears. Hmmmm.
    I'd try Worth Browns....maybe....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

High frets that are just starting to rattle and buzz can produce a harsh, thin and metallic sound. I suggest checking the neck for high frets.

Thread Information