Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone prefer using a pick instead of fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    I bought a special felt and cardboard pick for my ukulele. My dog ate it.
    How has he felt since then?

Aaron Keim uses Alaska Piks, which fit over the fingertips and thumbs like banjo picks. They’re plastic. I got a set in case my nails wouldn’t hold up but they have and I’ve never really used the Alaska Piks.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Bill1, I like your spirit! Seems like every winter, as I start to develop those pesky little splits on the sides of my fingernails, I explore the possibility of playing with a pick, just to take my strumming finger (index, in my case) out of the equation; and for single-note doodling the pick produces a great smooth tone; but doggone it, I can't seem to get much going in the "strumming" department with the pick, try as I may! It just seems too clumsy, and interferes with the "feel" I like to have when I'm strumming. But nonetheless... I love the idea!

I have heard that some professional guitarists use clear nail varnish to keep their nails intact even if male.

My dog survived the pick eating experience and now curls up near me when i play. I am not sure if she enjoys the music or is after another snack.

I actually forgot i bought another one to experiment with over the holiday season, must get it out.
    Last edited by Davoravo; 01-05-2020 at 09:28 PM.

I played guitar in an old time/bluegrass trio for years using flat picks but a few years ago medical problems made it painful to hold guitar so rather than downsize my guitar I opted for a uke. This gave me chance to introduce the grandsons to this beautiful instrument but all instructions suggested finger picking or strumming until Aaron Keim's videos suggested otherwise and he plays my sort of music so I too was left in the same dilemma as the poster.When one grandson said he would like a banjo we decided to go for a banjolele and to me this really called for so picks were tried and despite nygut strings it sounds fine to me although I have not tried this with the 6 year old grandson yet prefering to let him get better at his strumming patterns. I suppose all this is a long way round of suggesting that maybe attitudes have changed and anything goes as long as you are playing one of these beautiful little instruments and you are not spoiling others enjoyment.

Never used a pick on ukulele; as a former guitarist I always used my fingers too, on 12 string acoustic and six string electric guitars.My one variation was when I learned slide guitar,and I often used a pick then,for extra volume when 'sliding'. One of our group cannot play with his fingers and always uses one;the rest of us are happy with fingers.Whatever you are comfortable with,and whatever suits you, will always work best for you!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

I always use a pick on everything in the stable. It just feels comfortable. I have not gotten into a "pick preference" by brand name, gauge, et cetera - the medium weight discount picks the local guitar store has in a jar by the check-out work fine for me. Considering how many I lose over time, buying the brand-name ones would have me in the poorhouse before long.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

* CGDA reentrant, **DAEB, ***GDAE, The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Aaron Keim uses Alaska Piks, which fit over the fingertips and thumbs like banjo picks. They’re plastic. I got a set in case my nails wouldn’t hold up but they have and I’ve never really used the Alaska Piks.
    I tried Alaska Piks, but didn't like feeling of them pulling up on my nails on an upstroke. I changed to Fred Kelly finger picks and have been very happy using them on guitars and now tenor uke. Since i started playing concertina several years ago, i've had to keep my nails short, so the fingerpicks have become almost essential for my fingerstyle playing.

Recently i've been trying to learn how to strum, and for that i've been using a fairly heavy flat pick, but use one of the more rounded corners rather than the more pointed one.

As I said in an earlier post, I tried a pick and it just didn't work for me. But I think one of the reasons that it didn't work was because it was one more piece of equipment that I had to have in order to play my uke. It takes much of the spontaneity out of the playing when one has to dig around looking for a pick before they can play. But that was just one of the reasons.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    I have heard that some professional guitarists use clear nail varnish to keep their nails intact even if male.

My dog survived the pick eating experience and now curls up near me when i play. I am not sure if she enjoys the music or is after another snack.

I actually forgot i bought another one to experiment with over the holiday season, must get it out.
    Hahahaha! We'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with "she enjoys the music" !! Seriously, Dav, I'll bet she really does... plus, she just flat-out likes to chill with you!

Thread Information