Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone prefer using a pick instead of fingers?

Default Anyone prefer using a pick instead of fingers?

Most of the people I have seen play ukulele with their fingers, however, I did run across a video of someone playing with a pick instead. I was wondering how many out there do use picks instead and their reasoning.

It's not uncommon for old time 'ukulele players in Hawaii to use a thumb pick combined with finger technique but most younger players go with finger flesh or nails. Plastic picks render a more twangy and bright tone than fingers, so not for everybody. I use a pick when I play electric and steel-string acoustic guitars but don't find a pick on nylon or fluorocarbon strings to be as nearly attractive as flesh or well smoothed nails. If you do use a pick, the heavier jazz style picks make a rounder tone than the thin praise band strummer picks.

I use picks sometimes, but I think I enjoy fingers better. Especially if I’m just noodling some stuff by ear. I use picks under .050 mm like “Ukulele for Dummies” suggests. I mostly use Dunlop .046 nylon or Red Prime Grips.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

You can also do a search on the topic. There was a discussion a couple of weeks back about picks.

FWIW- I recently tried a leather pick which has some attractive features- a little more bite than fingertips, yet less than a plastic pick. Overall, I still prefer fingertips/nails.

I use a pick 99% of the time. I do a lot of blue grass double pickin' on both guitar and usually, a baritone uke. Like others, I have a drawer full of picks searching for one I really liked with a nylon strung instrument. Right now my favorite is a Charmed Life Pick brown CLT.075 and CLT.088.

When I played guitar (for almost 50 years), I always used a pick, since playing ukulele 6 years ago, I never use a pick, as well as with bass that I took up 5 years ago.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-06-2020 at 07:27 AM.

I bought a special felt and cardboard pick for my ukulele. My dog ate it.

I've tried one but it didn't last long. A pick doesn't lend itself to my strumming style.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I prefer the sound using a heavy smooth plastic pick I think my strings disagree as they seem to were quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    It's not uncommon for old time 'ukulele players in Hawaii to use a thumb pick combined with finger technique but most younger players go with finger flesh or nails. Plastic picks render a more twangy and bright tone than fingers, so not for everybody. I use a pick when I play electric and steel-string acoustic guitars but don't find a pick on nylon or fluorocarbon strings to be as nearly attractive as flesh or well smoothed nails. If you do use a pick, the heavier jazz style picks make a rounder tone than the thin praise band strummer picks.
    Hahahahaha! As a Catholic boy who pioneered the "guitar Mass" at my Church back in 1969, I am getting a kick out of the term "praise band strummer picks"!!

Thread Information