Sharp fret end - can’t file can I use glue?

PTOEguy

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a Gold Tone Little Gem for Christmas- and playing yesterday I lost a lot of skin and a little flesh on my right hand index finger due to sharp fret ends. I got out my fret file this mornin.g as able to correct all but one fret.

The odd fret out is a problem because it is sitting up out of the fretboard and because this fingerboard has binding on the sides the fret is sitting up above the binding by just enough to get a fingernail under. Because of this, I have a snag point on this fret regardless of how I file the end.

I’m looking for ideas on how to handle this - the fret in question is the second-highest fret and sits right where I’m strumming, otherwise I’d just get it close and not worry so much.

Could I put a little super glue under the fret to fill the gap? Is there a better option?

As Peter suggests, a little light tapping may remedy the problem. If not, check that the fret is true by holding a straight edge along its crown and look for an even light gap (any upward curl will prevent proper seating). If the fret is straight and
will not seat, there may be debris in the slot bed preventing it from seating completely.

As Peter suggests, a little light tapping may remedy the problem. If not, check that the fret is true by holding a straight edge along its crown and look for an even light gap (any upward curl will prevent proper seating). If the fret is straight and
will not seat, there may be debris in the slot bed preventing it from seating completely.

I tried tapping with some authority - no luck

Is there anyone in your area who can do a proper setup?

If you have given it a decent tap with no joy, it may have hardened glue in the slot.
This is assuming that the fret is straight along its length.
If you have a warranty/guarantee speak to the retailer or manufacturer.
If no warranty, ask an opinion from your local guitar technicians.
If no satisfactory solution/suggestions from third parties, you could consider pulling and re-seating the offending fret yourself. If it is not seated too tightly, it may come out without any significant damage to the fret board. There are good tutorials available on how to do this using tape to control possible chip-out by the barbs. Watch the tutorials carefully before deciding if this is within your capabilities, as damaging your new uke would likely be a real disappointment for you. You will need a dental pick or something similar to clean out the slot bed prior to re-installation of the fret.
If you decide that you want to give it a go, be aware that you can't use ordinary pincers to remove the fret. The distal jaws need to be reasonably fine and ground to a flush, smooth curve in order to get under the fret body and lift it cleanly without marring the board (see pictures of commercial fret nippers). A commercial fret board protector or any thin metal stripping may also help here.
If this sounds all too daunting, do nothing until a viable solution comes to hand. It is difficult to recommend a finite solution without fully assessing the problem first hand, so any decision must be yours.
Posting a well-lit, well-focused, close up photo of the problem may attract more opinions.

If you can press the end down with your fingernail, or the end of a pencil or similar, then it is first worth trying to glue the loose end back down.

The way to do this is to clamp the fret end down to the fretboard, and then put one or two *small* drops of thin superglue (CA glue) where the fret, fretboard and binding meet. This first drop will wick in to the slot, and if it all disappears then add the second drop. Immediately wipe off any excess glue with a clean paper towel (one swipe, the second swipe can glue the towel to your uke!). Leave for an hour or so, remove clamp.

This doesn't really glue the fret down, but rather fills int he slot so the fret tangs have something to bite on.

If you need to remove the fret, heat it gently with a soldering iron and the set superglue will smoke off (don't breathe in!).

So I finally got in contact with Gold Tone and they were willing to fix it. I'm waiting for them to contact me about shipping.

Glenn

Wanted to send the final update on this saga - Gold Tone paid for shipping back, and I think there was a miss-communication between Gold Tone and their luthier because it came back with the sharp fret nicely leveled with the others and still sharp on the end. I contacted them again and they send me a whole new banjo uke with all the fret ends perfectly smooth.

I can't say enough good about how Gold Tone took care of me on this - and I love the sound of this uke.

Top Bottom