Need suggestions on a tenor under $250 please

Reaction score
So I’ve been allowed a budget of 250 for my birthday uke and I’d like to ask y’alls opinion. I did pick up a Mitchell today but I’ve found a ton of issues so it’s more than likely going back.

I currently have a Kala PWT and a KA-ATP-CTG. I’d like to go with a low G is it fits the budget, but honestly am pretty open. I like exotic woods and figuring, but I prefer function over form any day.

What can y’all suggest?

Thanks guys

I've not personally been impressed with the Mitchells I've picked up.

The second you mention has a pretty good reputation: https://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-atp-ct.html

Maybe we should ask what you don't like about it, or what you'd like different in the new uke. If you just want to try low g and don't mind a wound string, you should be able to just put new strings on either of the ones you have.

Well I’d really like something...different. Ukulele acquisition syndrome and all that. I’m either looking for unique looking (exotic woods, normal sound) or sounding (banjole). It’s kinda a tradition that I get ukuleles for my birthday, which is a nice odd thing, but I’m at a loss really as I’m in overload mode.

First, let me say I have several great ukes. My collection includes a DaSilva, Pereira and a couple of high end Hawaiians. I teach kids classes at the Boys and Girls Club and like to protect my ukes from them.
My class ukes are Ohana sopranos. My go to recommendation is the TK70’s from Ohana. Solid spruce top, laminate body and a slot head. They are also available in soprano and concert and baritone sizes.
I play the TK70-R whenever I am with the kids.

First, let me say I have several great ukes. My collection includes a DaSilva, Pereira and a couple of high end Hawaiians. I teach kids classes at the Boys and Girls Club and like to protect my ukes from them.
My class ukes are Ohana sopranos. My go to recommendation is the TK70’s from Ohana. Solid spruce top, laminate body and a slot head. They are also available in soprano and concert and baritone sizes.
I play the TK70-R whenever I am with the kids.

I can’t seem to find any new for my budget unfortunately. Barely see any used that fit!

Want something different but tenor scale?

Ohana solid mahogany long neck concert (CK 35L), (I have Living Water low G fluorocarbons on mine). :)

Not just Bang for the Buck but BOOM!

Go on line and type GLARRY instruments. Look at the wood of their tenors. The string height is easy on the fingers, frets and in the right place and nicely finished, tone is very mellow.The tuners are very easy to turn and hold their setting. They pay the shipping. I have a large personal collection of various sizes, types and woods as ukuleles. If you are curious or serious about banjo ukuleles. old classics or new....thecraftedcow@comcast.net My personal collection includes 3 Glarry concerts and 2 tenors. I am not a Glarry dealer. The uke I bought last week is the only ebony one in the group. I have one made out of bamboo. it has as good of a sound as how it looks!

Last edited:
If you don’t yet own a Fluke, you owe it to yourself to add one to your collection!

Scooter

Top Bottom