Haydn on my new Doghair

That is wonderful! Just lovely playing. The Kala Elite Doghair sounds excellent as well.

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is a dog hair uke? Dog hair covered uke is going to sound very muted. I know satin finish btw.

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is a dog hair uke? Dog hair covered uke is going to sound very muted. I know satin finish btw.

It's a type of mahogany with a grain that resembles dog hair (a dog with short coarse hair). The black and white Kala Elite dog hair really caught my eye when it came out a few years ago. Might have been tempted if it came in soprano.

It's a type of mahogany with a grain that resembles dog hair (a dog with short coarse hair). The black and white Kala Elite dog hair really caught my eye when it came out a few years ago. Might have been tempted if it came in soprano.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I know. I still think it’s weird name though. Haha :p

Very nice playing and a nice quality recording, too. Just going by ear, it sounds like your six-string is tuned in guitar tuning -- correct? And thanks for posting this beautiful piece.

Great playing, great recording.

Very nice playing and a nice quality recording, too. Just going by ear, it sounds like your six-string is tuned in guitar tuning -- correct? And thanks for posting this beautiful piece.

Thanks everybody for listening! John boy, I recorded the 3 melodic tracks of the minuet in Logic Pro using a 4-string Kala Elite Doghair tenor—all thumb flesh strokes. I played bass on the 4th track. The photo used in the player at ReverbNation is merely a PR photo and, yeah, I'm holding a TT6 (which I love recording with too). I'll probably write a review on the Doghair once I make a few more recordings and play it in a bit more. You can feel the slightly raised grain when you touch it. This is what a Doghair looks like:
1-MHG-T_20871018_19_F.jpg

Last edited:
Mahalo! Patrick, you must have been attending WWU at the same time as me. I graduated in 1977—first guitar major out the gate. So long ago and far away...

Beautifully played, Peter. The quality of the sound is impressive. Who knew dog hair could be so melodic? :)

Top Bottom