USO and Ukes

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A story:

Our local airport opened a USO area where members of the military could go to relax while waiting for a flight or a bus.

Last year, Sue, a woman in my ukulele club, had a brilliant idea. She asked our club to sponsor giving some ukuleles and beginner instruction sheets to the USO so the soldiers could pick one up and begin to learn to play. The club donated the beginner instruction books and a tenor, the music stores in town donated five more ukes. And Sue’s husband built a very nice wooden rack to hold the instruments some tuners and the instruction materials. We put large stickers on the backs with the donating store’s name.

Sue, who also works at the airport, makes sure the instruments are tuned and the strings are still good. She replaces the instruction materials when they get too ratty. And cleans everything from time to time.

It’s been very successful. The ukes get frequent use. Usually bored soldiers pick them up to see what they are. They start strumming and picking at them, and then they look at the materials and sit and learn what this little instrument is about. Lots of smiles. Some play guitar and figure it out pretty quickly. Sometimes several of them start jamming with them.

From what I have heard, there are several ukes popping up at the local bases. With the soldiers teaching themselves how to play during down time. Many have bought instruments and taken them overseas.

So, why do I bring this up?

If you belong to a uke group. And you have a USO nearby. You might consider doing something similar. Just one or two at the USO would be a boon.

It may help spread the joy of playing to our men and women in uniform. Many of whom will soon be away from home for a year or more. A little joy will be most welcome.

Another way we can help.

Seeing the title, I thought that it was about "Ukulele Shaped Objects", ie- junky instruments that look like a uke which is where the resemblance to a musical instrument ends.

Glad it was a much more pleasant story!

This is a great idea!

Thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us.

Very good idea. Our group, The CC Strummers, play for kids in UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital every few weeks and give them ukuleles via the donations we make to The Ukulele Kids Club, and every week go to a local middle school to teach the kids during lunch break with donated ukes. All very gratifying indeed.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom