How Long Do I Wait To Unbox a New Ukulele?

oncologyrn8

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After a year of learning to play ukulele on a Kala Spruce Top Concert, I have finally ordered a KoAloha Opio Acacia Concert from HMS. I know that often times it's advised to wait before unboxing a new ukulele.

I ordered a hardshell case for it as well. Because it's coming from Hawaii to Tennessee, I wonder how long that wait should be. It'll likely be a week or two before it's set up, so I peeked at the 14 day forecast which currently projects 70 degree temps for there and 50s/60s for here. Of course, our weather here is subject to rapid changes when compared to most, but it's been a warm winter so far.

Any idea how long I should pretend to ignore my new uke?

Thank you!

I wouldn't think it would matter since it's been bouncing around in that UPS truck. They're not temperature controlled. Again, I'm guessing but I never would have thought to do that

You should be thinking in terms of minutes, not days or weeks. You pretty much just want the temperature to equalize before opening the ukulele case. Even there, it should not really matter much since it would be like taking it from a cold car into a house.

I wouldn't worry, there's probably not much difference between truck and house temperatures, and the Opios don't have a nitro finish that can crack.

I would give it 24 hrs.

You want to avoid thermal shock from sudden temperature changes. And a sudden change to the humidity.

It's not so much the temp from its point of origin to your destination, it's all of the temperature extremes it likely has gone through on its travels. (Though if you live in places that are really cold or really hot, that can mean more time in extreme temperatures and humidity.) I've received two ukes in the dead of winter with low temps of -28 degs F. They spent the night in an unheated warehouse shipping container. And at least one day in the delivery truck. Often the ukes are traveling cross-country in an unheated semi truck trailer.

The box, packing materials, and the instrument case all act as insulation. Slowing the changes to more gradual ones. If you receive and open the box and case immediately the sudden changes in temp & RH can do all kinds of damage from splitting the wood in the top or back, to warping the neck/fretboard.

If I know the instrument is in a case, I will generally open the outer box after 4 to 6 hours. To make sure the case is undamaged. That is usually enough time for the outside of the case to get close to room temp. If there is a humidity barrier bag, I will remove that. I then put the case back in the open box and leave it for the remaining 18 hrs or so before I open the case. I find that gives everything enough time to equalize and acclimate slowly.

I then open the case and inspect the uke to make sure it is undamaged. I'll often place the tenor back in the case and wait until I have enough time to tune it and play it for a while.

That's my MO. Some people give it more time. Some less.

I usually photograph the box when I receive it. And then each step as I open it. I also photograph the instrument as I inspect it. That also helps if there is a damage claim with the shipper.

If the box is damaged when I get it, I open it to make sure the case is intact. (The shipping companies can sometimes get a little testy if you wait to report a damaged item.)

If I'm buying a used instrument, I let the seller know when I get it, and what condition the box is in.

And then, the next day after I open and inspect everything, I let them know if all is good or not. If not, I send some photos to them showing the problems along with an explanation of what they depict.

I've had issues with damage from shipping three times out of 20+. In each instance, it has been a bizarre circumstance that has caused damage to the instrument.

The weirdest involved the key to the instrument case getting out of the middle compartment and moving around inside the case. Scratching and scraping various parts of the tenor! The key had very sharp flashing around the edge on one side of the key. So, in the course of it's travels in the case it shaved a small area of the finish on the back of the neck, and nicked the clear finish in several spots on the body. Mostly on the bottom of the uke. I found the key sitting in the bottom of the case after I let the seller know what I had found. He called me and was absolutely mortified and floored that the forgotten key could do that much damage!

Stay tough and wait it out. You'll be happy you did.

Last edited:
I would give it 24 hrs.

You want to avoid thermal shock from sudden temperature changes. And a sudden change to the humidity.

It's not so much the temp from its point of origin to your destination, it's all of the temperature extremes it likely has gone through on its travels. (Though if you live in places that are really cold or really hot, that can mean more time in extreme temperatures and humidity.) I've received two ukes in the dead of winter with low temps of -28 degs F. They spent the night in an unheated warehouse shipping container. And at least one day in the delivery truck. Often the ukes are traveling cross-country in an unheated semi truck trailer.

The box, packing materials, and the instrument case all act as insulation. Slowing the changes to more gradual ones. If you receive and open the box and case immediately the sudden changes in temp & RH can do all kinds of damage from splitting the wood in the top or back, to warping the neck/fretboard.

If I know the instrument is in a case, I will generally open the outer box after 4 to 6 hours. To make sure the case is undamaged. That is usually enough time for the outside of the case to get close to room temp. If there is a humidity barrier bag, I will remove that. I then put the case back in the open box and leave it for the remaining 18 hrs or so before I open the case. I find that gives everything enough time to equalize and acclimate slowly.

I then open the case and inspect the uke to make sure it is undamaged. I'll often place the tenor back in the case and wait until I have enough time to tune it and play it for a while.

That's my MO. Some people give it more time. Some less.

I usually photograph the box when I receive it. And then each step as I open it. I also photograph the instrument as I inspect it. That also helps if there is a damage claim with the shipper.

If the box is damaged when I get it, I open it to make sure the case is intact. (The shipping companies can sometimes get a little testy if you wait to report a damaged item.)

If I'm buying a used instrument, I let the seller know when I get it, and what condition the box is in.

And then, the next day after I open and inspect everything, I let them know if all is good or not. If not, I send some photos to them showing the problems along with an explanation of what they depict.

I've had issues with damage from shipping three times out of 20+. In each instance, it has been a bizarre circumstance that has caused damage to the instrument.

The weirdest involved the key to the instrument case getting out of the middle compartment and moving around inside the case. Scratching and scraping various parts of the tenor! The key had very sharp flashing around the edge on one side of the key. So, in the course of it's travels in the case it shaved a small area of the finish on the back of the neck, and nicked the clear finish in several spots on the body. Mostly on the bottom of the uke. I found the key sitting in the bottom of the case after I let the seller know what I had found. He called me and was absolutely mortified and floored that the forgotten key could do that much damage!

Stay tough and wait it out. You'll be happy you did.

Yep, he has it right. If you want to be wise and the safest, that's the way to do it. Slow acclimation is definitely better for the instrument.

I will admit I don't wait 24 hours usually though. I do wait overnight at least if the package arrives late in the day. Some sellers, like Elderly Instruments, even put a warning label on the boxes they ship in saying to allow the instruments to acclimate. If you ever ship them something that you want to sell or trade they will wait 24 hours before opening it.
That's what the professionals do, so something to consider.

Why don't you send off an email to HMS and ask them? Or give them a call. They would be the ones who know best.

I wouldn't worry, there's probably not much difference between truck and house temperatures, and the Opios don't have a nitro finish that can crack.

Thank you for that info. While I thought that the finish wasn't nitro, I wasn't certain. That's very helpful to have it confirmed!:)

Thank you! I was fairly certain that the finish wasn't nitro, but I couldn't find the info anywhere. That's very helpful info to know, and now I'm less concerned since the other finishes are more impervious to temperature. :)

Thank you. To be honest, I wouldn't have either until this morning when my guitar enthusiast husband suggested that I wait a few days to unpack my purchase. That's what he does. After checking multiple sites for stringed instruments, I've found that some people wait quite a while to unbox their new instrument.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed, informative reply. I will certainly follow your advice, especially by photographing as I unpack. This is my first time purchasing an instrument without seeing it or playing it in person, but the above advice takes a little of the uncertainty out of the process.

My spouse leaves his guitar boxed for about a week before he opens it. He has admirable patience...I do not. :D I believe a day's wait is about the best I can manage.

Wow, your story about the scratched uke elicited a wince from me. I know you were visibly sick when you uncovered the damage. There have been no delivery woes here yet. Last year, I had a 12 inch telescope delivered with no damage, so *knock on wood* here's hoping FedEx does well with my ukulele.

Thank you again.

Lol, yes! I agree. Best to minimize all uncertainty with the ever-changing weather.:D

There's only one little problem with that in my case this year. I divided my instrument budget so that I could get a better mandolin later in the year, and with the way I planned for it, it was easier to upgrade my ukulele now. (Or so I'm telling myself so that I can get two new instruments this year, lol.)

Good info to know, and very reassuring in that if the professionals only wait a day, I can surely stretch my patience and do the same. Worth it to avoid cracked finish and the like. Thank you!

Thank you, John.

I'd figured that you all had seen tons of these Opios, but as this is my first big uke purchase, I am more than happy to share when it arrives. It feels like Christmas is coming.

Thank you, Bill.

Yours is the first post to really touch on enjoying the experience. My first purchase was in a local instrument store, and I was able to relax and take my time and choose my first uke with the full assurance that it was right for me. Naturally, I've had a little anxiety about making my first nice purchase online. But it's a reasonably nice instrument coming from a great store, and it's fitting that I should treat the unboxing as a special occasion. I will definitely put that advice to work when I receive my package, and I'll remember it in the future as well.

Also, it's great advice to keep the original box. I didn't do it with my Kala, and I've regretted it ever since. I don't believe I'll be getting rid of my Kala because it was inexpensive and has such a high sentimental value on it, but it's would be convenient to have for storage at times.

If it is in an insulated hard shell case, then I might leave it for a couple of hours to equalise the temp/humidity, but if it's in a cardboard box, which won't be very well insulated, it won't take that long.
Of course, how long you leave it will depend on the temperature it came from. If it has been sitting for a long time in below zero temperature, then it will take longer to acclimatise than if it has been in a warmer temperature.

If it is a drastic temperature change, I would probably give it a few hours in a hard shell case.

Here is the real world response. No musician would ever be able to perform if he or she had to wait hours or days if a guitar was transported in extreme cold to a gig. If it is their livelihood, they have to take the minimum precaution and get on with it to get paid.

People get over-the-top with temperature change when they first get the instrument. Then they drag it all over creation without a whole lot of concern, especially if they are going to play with others.

I also have this vision of someone just gazing at this unopened box for days that could have been left sitting on a tarmac, bounced around in a truck, gone from one extreme to another, and handled with absolutely no care... just another 18 hours and I’ll get to play it.

John

Top Bottom