NUD: one of a kind soprano by Alvin Okami

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just received a rare, unique soprano ukulele from Alvin “Pops KoAloha” Okami. Since this past September, Pops has been working on updating the Wow and Star-Spangled Banger ukes and adding a third- the AO (a Hawaiian word meaning “new beginnings” and a play on Alvin Okami’s initials). This AO will have the new body styling and a really cool headstock, along with ebony trim.

I have been working with Alvin on the design (mostly in terms of feedback) and today, I received a prototype that consists of a little of each of these new modifications. I wanted to share it with everyone because each of these are outstanding and I can’t wait for Pops to launch the new line of UkeSA (also included in the new line are some brand new Pineapple Sundays).

This, one of a kind, prototype by Alvin that I just received is so great because it has some of all of the changes Pops is including in his new line of Wows, Bangers, and AO. To say that it is a conglomerate of styles is an understatement. It has the Supa Wow body and Headstock, the AO Zebra Inlay on the bottom bout, the Wow 12 fret neck, and Curly Mango back, select pine sides and neck, and Engleman Spruce top. Not only is this ukulele striking to look at, but it is also so easy to play. It has great clarity and projection with such a rich tone.

In 2016 Alvin set up a new company run by Alvin and his wife, Pat, called UkeSA (Ukulele Specialties of America). His first ukulele with this company was the Wow, a soprano made of select pine with an Engleman spruce top, and Koa fretboard. The Wow was very exciting because the sound was beyond excellent. Combine this with the fact that it was made of pine, brought the price way way down. Each of these are handmade by Pops in Hawaii. Then, in 2017, Pops took that design and made The Star-Spangled Banger, a cutaway version of the Wow, still with the fantastic sound and easy playability.

Each ukulele in this new series will be made by Pops when you order them. These will not be production ukes. Also, for some of the items in the series, you will be able to choose 12 frets or 17 frets, figure 8 shape or slanted body, and the back can be either curly mango, curly maple, or koa.
The line will consist of:
The Wow — 12 frets, traditional figure 8 body made of Select Pine with an Engleman Spruce top, with ebony fretboard and saddle, and zebrawood frets.
The Supa Wow — with a sloped cutaway on top and bottom with 17 frets, sloped body made of Select Pine with an Engleman Spruce top, with ebony fretboard and saddle, and zebrawood frets.
The New Banger - with a sloped cutaway on top and bottom with 17 frets, sloped body made of Select Pine with an Engleman Spruce top, with ebony fretboard and saddle, and zebrawood frets. The entire uke will be bound with Ebony for a really classy look.
The AO - with a sloped cutaway on top and bottom with 17 frets, sloped body made of Select Pine with an Engleman Spruce top, with ebony fretboard and saddle, and zebrawood frets. The entire uke will be bound with Ebony for a really classy look. Most spectacular is the ebony headstock with “AO” engraved with Koa inlay. Also a Zebrawood inlay on the bottom bout.

FC2C1529-180E-4914-9B28-1DB0862B1427_1_201_a.jpg9C11E3C5-90A6-45A1-8CEA-5D0920A604E9_1_201_a.jpg271FB660-B1A5-4D0B-85F8-AE83885FAAB3_1_201_a.jpgB750ADBA-C8CD-467F-97B6-449598703004_1_201_a.jpg

Attachments

• B368A137-C4CA-410F-960B-E0E8677CC500_1_201_a.jpg
    B368A137-C4CA-410F-960B-E0E8677CC500_1_201_a.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Great looking instrument, lots of outside the box design. Enjoy

Wow, that's stunning. Thanks for sharing. I looked at the photos before reading and instantly thought KoAloha when I saw the headstock, but what a dramatic design.

Yes, Pops wanted to shake up the design and create something totally new. Just a point that this is Alvin, but not KoAloha. It is released from Alvin's new company UkeSA. This is a two-person company, Moms and Pops, and therefore, ukes are made only when orders are placed, and he is building in an element of customization. Back in September, a number of people ordered the traditional Wow and Banger from me, but Pops wanted to change things up, and they found themselves now owning the very first of these new ukes. The one that I have is a prototype sent to me to show me elements of the different ukes. I doubt there will ever be another one like it since it mixes styles. it plays great.

Last edited:
Is there a website to go to for more information and images of these UkeSA ukes?

Holy moly, that is absolutely gorgeous, and original to boot. Immediately when you mentioned Alvin Okami's name, I knew this would be something special. Coincidentally, I received my KoAloha KSM-00 yesterday. It's stunningly beautiful, even better than what I imagined from photos before ordering, and that's only their standard model. What an amazing man and company.

At this point there is not a website for UkeSA. Pops and Moms are a two-person company for UkeSA and they are great in building Ukes but not much on the technical end. They reached out to me, as a friend, to help them with that and marketing/sales of the ukes. Because Pops makes each uke, one at a time, on order only, it is hard to put up a website, especially now when he is experimenting with new designs and nothing is finalized yet. The ukes that I have been putting up for sale are usually prototypes. Plus, with his willingness to accept some customization, each uke is different. Those who choose to purchase/order get to communicate directly on how they would like their uke. I tried putting some up online and no sooner is it up there, Pops is telling me of another cool design change, so i have found it best to just work with each purchaser individually.

Last edited:
Here's a video from 2015 of Pops making the older style AO uke, which was teardrop shaped. Interesting to see the style of bracing used. He sure looks like a happy guy who really enjoys his work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom