FS Ditson/Martin Style 3K reproduction by Brad Donaldson

BuzzBD

Reaction score
While going through the Tom Walsh-John King book on The Martin Ukulele, I noticed that the only koa ukulele made by Martin for the Ditson dept. stores were either a style 1K (12), or a style 5K (22). Thinking that doing a Ditson/Martin style 3K soprano concept ukulele would be a fun project, I went through my stash of koa. I found the perfect piece, that with some fairly aggressive resawing, yielded 2 sets of one piece tops and backs. I found some closely matching koa for the sides and got to work. Trying to keep to the original design concepts as closely as possible here are the particulars; all solid koa body with matching one piece top and back, H. mahogany neck with dovetail neck joint, ebony fretboard, style 3 bindings and abalone inlays, Grover deluxe friction tuners.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JiwdESnKJ4SxvWJc9

This is the first one of two, the price is $1150 USD, with $35 shipping to US. Questions are always welcome and mahalo for looking.
Brad

What a beautiful uke! Can I ask: what is the parend made of? And I know Ditson was a retailer that Martin produced ukuleles for; are there any features that makes it a Ditson style soprano, as opposed to just Martin?

Oh my! Simply amazing!

Most of the Ditson ukulele had the distinctive mini dreadnaught body shape, wider waist and less curvy than the standard Martin shape. The bindings and parend are plastic.
Brad

That’s a beauty Brad...Im lucky enough to have one of your older sopranos..
glad to see you building again!

Cheers!

Most of the Ditson ukulele had the distinctive mini dreadnaught body shape, wider waist and less curvy than the standard Martin shape. The bindings and parend are plastic.
Brad

Thanks Brad!

That is a terrific looking ukulele.

If I played sopranos I would be sorely tempted.

My goodness, Brad, that's gorgeous. What talent!

Top Bottom