NUD Enya Nova with a twist

Same question I put to VintageGibson - is it the paint on the fret coming off, or actual dents in the frets themselves?

Hi all,

I have been playing my black nova for two months, and I have to say that VintageGibson is not alone in the wear of and on the fret wires. I posted an Amazon review earlier this week. As the instrument is currently at my parents' I can't take photos. However, the damage happened with the original floppy strings, and I am a bit concerned about wear and tear in the long run.

Maybe that's why they give us an extra set of strings. :D

I don't mind the paint coming off the frets (black on black), but I don't want to see the frets getting indented from the strings. It's not like the fretboard is easily replaced.

Hi all,

I have been playing my black nova for two months, and I have to say that VintageGibson is not alone in the wear of and on the fret wires. I posted an Amazon review earlier this week. As the instrument is currently at my parents' I can't take photos. However, the damage happened with the original floppy strings, and I am a bit concerned about wear and tear in the long run.

You seem to have repeated your earlier comment. Is iit wear of the frets or the paint?

I wonder if it could be a third option: just the strings rubbing off (string material, grease, oil, whatever). In this case, the spots would probably wash off easily.

Morning all,
Am attaching a photographEnyaNova-Fret2.jpg so you can see the wear marks.
Definitely indentations, not additions.
Even when magnified, it's difficult to assess whether this is paint wear or fret damage, I hope the former.
I was going to change the tuners for a better quality, but I'll hold off and see how this develops.

Vintage

They do indeed look like indentations in the frets. That's a worry.

Morning all,
Am attaching a photographView attachment 124311 so you can see the wear marks.
Vintage

That is not good at all. In my opinion, that is enough reason for Enya to re-engineer that material and replace the ukes that have been sold. Amazon takes returns for a month or more. If I see any wear after a couple of weeks, mine is going back. This is a very good reason not to buy. I have emailed Enya about this.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Can you post pictures? The more examples we have, the better. You can write to Enya using the link below. The more they hear from customers, the better our chance of getting action. You can write to Enya here -

https://www.enya-music.com/pages/contact-us

A friend and playing partner has three Outdoor Ukuleles. When I voiced my concern about the wound low G string possibly causing fret wear he said all three of his Outdoor Ukes showed signs of fret wear. They are all strung high G with fluorocarbon strings.

Steel string acoustic guitars that are played for any length of time ALL exhibit fret wear. We might be making this into a bigger deal then it really is. But I would be interested in hearing from owners of Magic fluke and fleas with the plastic fretboard and Outdoor Ukulele owners.

20200112_080552.jpg

Last edited:
But I would be interested in hearing from owners of Magic fluke and fleas with the plastic fretboard and Outdoor Ukulele owners.

I have bought several used Fleas and Flukes with the plastic fretboard, and only one out of seven showed that wear. Several of them were from the Connecticut shop, so they were made before 2011. If the Enya is showing wear after only a couple of months, that's a bad sign.

DownUpDave,

We might be making this into a bigger deal then it really is.

I hope you're right, but in my experience fret wear on metal string instruments does not occur after only 6-8 weeks.

Vintage

Baz and VintageGibson thanks for the input. I agree that fret wear should not be happening this quickly. The friend with the OU ukuleles has had them for a few years and he plays a lot.

I have a plastic fingerboard Flea with fret wear.. but... it is over ten years old

I had Magic Fluke replace two plastic fretboards for me - with wooden ones. I did that more for appearance than anything else. The wood looks great. I was thinking about making a fretboard myself, but that's a big maybe.

I had Magic Fluke replace two plastic fretboards for me - with wooden ones. I did that more for appearance than anything else. The wood looks great. I was thinking about making a fretboard myself, but that's a big maybe.

Yes I own one with a wood board too. Also have a Fluke with plastic board which is about the same age - strangely that has very little wear and I wouldn't say it gets played any less

The earliest I might see it back is around during the Easter holidays, but I could ask my Mum to try and pick some good quality pics. However, the damage is just like on the image that VintageGibson posted. Personally I don't think the neck and fingerboard are painted, I always thought it the actual coloured parts to be painted, so I never thought it was just part of the paint coming off.

Top Bottom